Profile Analysis - Reapply

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Profile Analysis - Reapply

by sqazi01 » Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:58 am
Hello,

First, thanks for taking the time to read this post. I have applied to HBS and Sloan before and was not expected and looking to see how I can improve my chances. I would appreciate any thoughts/feedback on my chances at top 10 b schools, specifically: HBS, Stanford, Wharton, Columbia.

Undergrad: Computer Engineering 3.9/4.0
Graduate: Electrical Engineering 3.3/4.2
GMAT: 620, second try

Work: Strong engineering and leadership work experience (4 years) - fast tracked at engineering company in the defense industry, won several company awards, led several initiatives for the company, will have strong recommendations from upper mgmt.
Also, Spent one year working for a non-profit.

Extracurricular: Involvement with national non-profit organization at multiple levels of the organization since undergrad.

Is my low gmat an admission killer or can I make it a non issue with a good essay and emphasizing my gpa & career accomplishments?

GMAT/MBA Expert

Legendary Member
Followed by:52 members

by CriticalSquareMBA » Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:44 am
Hi there!

Thanks for your inquiry. Unfortunately, your GMAT is about 100 points below the median which makes it difficult to put you in the consideration set. If these schools are indeed a must for you, I would suggest taking some time to get to a point where you're scoring 700+ on your practice tests and retake for a 3rd time. You have the time to work on it between now and R1 so, why not give it your best shot?

Otherwise, surely there are other MBA programs that you can target that will still help you achieve your short and long term goals. What do you have in mind after your MBA?
Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Facebook | Twitter

We love helping! Was this post helpful to you? Thank us and let me know!

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:3 members

by Edison@VeritasPrep » Sun Feb 21, 2016 3:33 pm
Thank you for posting your profile.

You would need to improve your GMAT to have a reasonable chance to these top schools you are applying to.

Emphasizing GPA helps and career accomplishments can help, but you can imagine that most of the applicants who would get admitted would have the combination of GMAT, strong academics, career accomplishments, and extracurriculars. Thus, improving your GMAT would be a must.
Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who's right for you. Meet our team!
Register for a free MBA Admissions Workshop!