Profile Eval - Low GPA/High GMAT + Work Experience

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hello,

First, thanks for taking the time to read this post. I would appreciate any thoughts/feedback on my chances at top 10 b schools, specifically: HBS, Stanford, Wharton, Columbia, LBS.

Undergrad: Ivy (non-HPY)
GPA: Cumulative 3.0/Major 3.5; Upward GPA trend- started as engineer (failed a class), transferred to another quant major after soph year
GMAT: 740, first try (Q49, V41)
Work: Strong work experience (4 years) - fast tracked at top company in the retail industry, won several company awards, led several initiatives for the company, will have strong recommendations from upper mgmt
Extracurricular: Board member of diversity organization on campus (strong involvement); Led several charity fundraising events at my company; Small involvement with non-profit organization (for only 1 year prior to applying)

Is my low gpa (and the fact that I've failed a class) an admission killer or can I make it a non issue with a good essay and emphasizing my gmat & career accomplishments?

Thanks for your help!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:5 members

by mcbMcK » Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:52 pm
A few thoughts on your predicament babiloo0623:
  1. The grades are what they are. The Ivy league will help loads. Read here for more on GMAT/GPA balance.
  2. While you say the experience is strong, the nature of your work is not mentioned. While you may have won a lot of accolades, it needs to be evaluated whether and how that is relevant from a bschool perspective as well as beyond. Think about that and then deduce if the experience is really strong.
  3. The ECs look decent enough and should help. The article in the previous point will help you assess the right expectations and go full steam ahead.
Cheers,
MG (Manish Gupta)|The MBA Crystal Ball Team

Email: mcb at mbacrystalball dot com

GMAT/MBA Expert

Legendary Member
Followed by:52 members

by CriticalSquareMBA » Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:13 am
Hi there!

Thanks for sharing your information. Looks like you have a lot of things headed in the right direction! The GPA question is going to have to be addressed, especially if you've failed a class. Have you thought about developing an alternative transcript? Taking 2-3 MBA level courses (and doing well) coupled with your strong GMAT will send a strong message. Sure, it's easy to tell the AdComm that despite your low GPA, you're confident you can take an on MBA curriculum, but taking a few courses on the side SHOWS them you can handle it and excel.
Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Facebook | Twitter

We love helping! Was this post helpful to you? Thank us and let me know!

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:3 members

by Edison@VeritasPrep » Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:44 pm
Thank you for posting your profile.

The strong GMAT helps. You may also use the experience of failing a class early on to highlight personal qualities, demonstrate what you have learned and how this set up you up to do better or succeed later on at work or with extra-curricular activities. Handling this properly would result in a genuinely reflective personal story.

Hope this helps!
Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who's right for you. Meet our team!
Register for a free MBA Admissions Workshop!