00:00

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

Hurricanes at first begin traveling from east to west, because that direction is the way the prevailing winds in the tropics blow, but they then veer off toward higher latitudes, in many cases changing direction toward the east before dissipating over the colder, more northerly waters or over land.

(A) Hurricanes at first begin traveling from east to west, because that direction is the way the prevailing winds in the tropics blow, but
(B) At first, hurricanes travel from east to west, because that is the direction of the prevailing winds in the tropics, but
(C) While hurricanes travel from east to west at first, the direction of the prevailing winds blowing in the tropics, and
(D) Because hurricanes at first travel from east to west, since it is the direction of the prevailing winds in the tropics,
(E) Hurricanes, beginning by traveling from east to west, because this is the direction of the prevailing winds in the tropics,

OA: B

P.S: I got this one, but would like to clarify how THAT has been used here in the OA ? Is such usage common in GMAT ? Any other Official instances that employ such usage of THAT ?

@ Verbal Experts - can you please share your thoughts ?

Legendary Member
Followed by:140 members
GMAT Score:800

by MartyMurray » Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:50 pm

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

Hi.

I am not sure about the answer to your specific question, but here is a more general answer.

As you noticed, which answer is the OA is crystal clear.

Even though you are wondering about the use of that, you can tell that the wrong answer choices are clearly wrong and you knew for sure which answer is the best.

While I can see why you might be curious about this detail and while I am sure that your diligence and attention to detail will serve you well in your GMAT preparation, the truth of the matter is that the clarity of differentiation between right and wrong answer choices seen in this question is typical of official questions, and so knowing picky little stuff like whether some subtly unique use of that is acceptable is basically worthless in terms of its value in increasing a GMAT verbal score.

So if you want to know just to know, fine, but if you are asking this in order to maximize your GMAT score, then you may as well let it slide, because finding the answer will have pretty much zero effect on your expected score. Much more valuable is spending time learning to notice key details of and flaws in sentence construction and developing flawless, tight, effective processes for eliminating wrong answers and choosing the right ones.
Marty Murray
Perfect Scoring Tutor With Over a Decade of Experience
MartyMurrayCoaching.com
Contact me at [email protected] for a free consultation.

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

by RBBmba@2014 » Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:08 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

Hi Marty - yes, you're right in saying that I just wanted to know the usage (re application) of THAT in this particular OA. (It's just for the sake of knowing Sir...)

I can understand that B stands out as the OA CLEARLY because other answer choices have definite & distinct errors!

Legendary Member

by MartyMurray » Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:19 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

I am not sure what trip I was on when I wrote that answer, as looking at this question again I see that actually that usage of that would not normally be considered correct on the GMAT.

In the OA, there is no antecedent for that. from east to west is not a noun and separating the possible noun east to west from from does not make sense.

So the OA is not as "crystal clear" as I had at first thought it to be.

I almost prefer choice A to the OA.
Marty Murray
MartyMurrayCoaching.com

Legendary Member

by RBBmba@2014 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:42 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

Marty - I don't think I understand you in your last reply.

IMO, option A has two issues.

1. at first begin -- is unnecessary,redundant.

2. because that direction is the way the prevailing winds in the tropics blow -- this portion seems to be less CONCISE compared to the phrase in OA:because that is the direction of the prevailing winds in the tropics.

Also, I guess, usage of THAT is similar in BOTH option A and B -- in fact this is EXACTLY what I wanted to know - what type of usage of THAT is present in this OG SC ?

I'd be curious to know what other Experts have to say on this...!!

@ Mitch/Dave/Rich - could you please share your thoughts on this aspect. Much thanks in advance!

Legendary Member

by MartyMurray » Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:49 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

RBBmba@2014 wrote:Marty - I don't think I understand you in your last reply.

Actually the usage of that in A is different from the usage of that in B.

In B, that is a pronoun with no clear antecedent.

In A, that is a demonstrative adjective modifying direction. So A does not have the pronoun with no antecedent issue.

So my point is that as awkward as A is, at least it does not have the pronoun issue.
Marty Murray
MartyMurrayCoaching.com

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:247 members

by ceilidh.erickson » Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:12 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

The pronoun "that" can have several functions in English:

- DEMONSTRATIVE PRONOUN (i.e. pointing out a particular thing). This is mostly used in conversation, when the speaker can point to the object in question, or when the speaker is clearly indicating an idea just stated.

That cat hissed at me. (Implies that I'm pointing to / indicating a particular cat).
I don't agree with that idea. (The speaker is responding to an idea that someone else just stated, and it's clear which idea we're talking about).

It's pretty rare to see this usage of THAT on SC, since we only have one sentence - not a lot of room for context.

In the example you gave, though, this is exactly how THAT is behaving: "that direction" is referring back to the direction just mentioned: east to west.

- RELATIVE PRONOUN - The vast majority of the time when you see a "that" in SC, it will be a RELATIVE PRONOUN introducing a subordinate clause that it modifying the main (independent) clause. These clauses can modify nouns:
The giraffe that stuck its head in my window startled me.

Or they can function as objects:
I know that you threw the water balloon at me.

More on that here: https://www.beatthegmat.com/sentence-cor ... tml#708709

Does that clarify things?
Ceilidh Erickson
EdM in Mind, Brain, and Education
Harvard Graduate School of Education

Legendary Member

by RBBmba@2014 » Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:03 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

ceilidh.erickson wrote:The pronoun "that" can have several functions in English:

- DEMONSTRATIVE PRONOUN (i.e. pointing out a particular thing). This is mostly used in conversation, when the speaker can point to the object in question, or when the speaker is clearly indicating an idea just stated.

That cat hissed at me. (Implies that I'm pointing to / indicating a particular cat).
I don't agree with that idea. (The speaker is responding to an idea that someone else just stated, and it's clear which idea we're talking about).

It's pretty rare to see this usage of THAT on SC, since we only have one sentence - not a lot of room for context.

In the example you gave, though, this is exactly how THAT is behaving: "that direction" is referring back to the direction just mentioned: east to west.

- RELATIVE PRONOUN - The vast majority of the time when you see a "that" in SC, it will be a RELATIVE PRONOUN introducing a subordinate clause that it modifying the main (independent) clause. These clauses can modify nouns:
The giraffe that stuck its head in my window startled me.

Or they can function as objects:
I know that you threw the water balloon at me.

More on that here: https://www.beatthegmat.com/sentence-cor ... tml#708709

Does that clarify things?
HI Ceilidh,
Thanks for your reply.

No issue with the common usage (re as a RELATIVE PRONOUN) of THAT. However, I'm BIT confused with the usage of THAT - you mentioned for the SC at hand.

I understand that you seem to convey that THAT is used as a DEMONSTRATIVE PRONOUN in this OG SC. Right ?

(1) But please specify which options between A & B you actually refer to for this particular usage of THAT ?

(2) As per MGMAT Foundation of Verbal book pg #31(Chapter 2),I think, in option A THAT functions as an ADJECTIVE modifying the NOUN direction -- most likely they meant DEMONSTRATIVE ADJECTIVE.

Whereas,according to the MGMAT book, it seems that in option B, THAT functions as an DEMONSTRATIVE PRONOUN. Thoughts?

(3) When THAT is used as a DEMONSTRATIVE PRONOUN, then what is the ANTECEDENT of THAT ? Don't we need an EXPLICIT ANTECEDENT for DEMONSTRATIVE PRONOUNS ?

P.S: Also per MGMAT book, my understanding is that THAT seems to function as a DEMONSTRATIVE ADJECTIVE modifying the following NOUN cat and idea in your each respective above example. Correct me please if wrong!

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:247 members

by ceilidh.erickson » Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:32 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

First things first... you're getting to a more detailed grammar understanding than is actually required on the GMAT. I'm willing to bet that most people who score 99th percentile on GMAT verbal don't actually know or think about these kinds of granular distinctions.

To do well on SC, you don't have to be a grammar expert; you just have to be good at identifying clear meaning, and recognizing structural pieces of a sentence.

To answer your questions, though...
RBBmba@2014 wrote: I understand that you seem to convey that THAT is used as a DEMONSTRATIVE PRONOUN in this OG SC. Right ?

(1) But please specify which options between A & B you actually refer to for this particular usage of THAT ?

(2) As per MGMAT Foundation of Verbal book pg #31(Chapter 2),I think, in option A THAT functions as an ADJECTIVE modifying the NOUN direction -- most likely they meant DEMONSTRATIVE ADJECTIVE.

Whereas,according to the MGMAT book, it seems that in option B, THAT functions as an DEMONSTRATIVE PRONOUN. Thoughts?

(3) When THAT is used as a DEMONSTRATIVE PRONOUN, then what is the ANTECEDENT of THAT ? Don't we need an EXPLICIT ANTECEDENT for DEMONSTRATIVE PRONOUNS ?

P.S: Also per MGMAT book, my understanding is that THAT seems to function as a DEMONSTRATIVE ADJECTIVE modifying the following NOUN cat and idea in your each respective above example. Correct me please if wrong!
You're exactly right. THAT is being used as an ADJECTIVE in A, and as a SUBJECT in B. They're both pronouns, though, just as "his" and "he" are both pronouns - one is the adjectival form, and one is the subject form.

In either case, when THAT is used as a demonstrative in this sentence, the ANTECEDENT is [THE DIRECTION] EAST TO WEST.

In most cases in spoken English, THAT will *not* have a direct antecedent. Consider:
[child throws a plate on the floor, breaking it]
Mother: Why did you do that?

THAT in this case stands for the entire action of breaking the plate. The child perfectly understands what "that" means in that context. (And look at how I used "that context" in the previous sentence, pointing to the entire idea just mentioned, but not to one particular "antecedent").

So, in conclusion:

1) you're right about that distinction between adjective and subject versions of THAT, but the distinction doesn't really matter. THAT has the same meaning in either case: pointing to something previously mentioned, something in front of the listener, etc.

2) A demonstrative THAT doesn't always need a direct antecedent, so don't look for a single word for it to be referring to. It could refer to an entire idea previously mentioned.

3) Don't obsess over this issue. It's not one that the GMAT will test often at all, since it's way more often used in spoken context or a long passage (where an author has room to refer back to a previous idea) than in a single sentence.
Ceilidh Erickson
EdM in Mind, Brain, and Education
Harvard Graduate School of Education

Legendary Member

by RBBmba@2014 » Sun Jan 24, 2016 5:46 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

Hi Ceilidh,
EXCELLENT clarifications.

To add: Although I did get this SC correct,just wanted to understand whether my reasons for eliminating an answer choice (re option A) are correct or not!

So, could you please quickly shed some light on the following --

1. at first begin -- is unnecessary,redundant.

2. because that direction is the way the prevailing winds in the tropics blow -- this portion seems to be less CONCISE compared to the phrase in OA:because that is the direction of the prevailing winds in the tropics.

Correct me please if wrong!

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:07 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

Pronoun ambiguity should be considered a LOW-PRIORITY ERROR.
Eliminate an answer choice with a potentially ambiguous pronoun ONLY IF AN ALTERNATE CHOICE AVOIDS THE AMBIGUITY AND IS FREE OF ERRORS.
RBBmba@2014 wrote:1. at first begin -- is unnecessary,redundant.

A: Hurricanes at first begin...because that direction is the way
Here, at first and begin are redundant, as are direction and way.
Eliminate A.

C lacks an independent clause.
The entire answer choice constitutes one long introductory while-modifier.
Eliminate C.

D: Because hurricanes travel at first from east to west, since it is the direction of the prevailing winds in the tropics, they then veer off toward higher latitudes.
Here, the implication is that traveling at first from east to west CAUSES hurricanes then to veer off.
The intention of the original sentence is to express not causation but CONTRAST, as follows:
AT FIRST, hurricanes travel from east to west, BUT they then veer off.
Also, a reader might wonder whether the since-clause modifies the preceding action (hurricanes travel at first) or the following action (they then veer off).
Eliminate D.

In E, hurricanes (subject) lacks a verb.
Eliminate E.

Since A, C, D and E all contain clear, UNDEBATABLE errors, the usage of that in B should be considered correct.

The correct answer is B.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by Crystal W » Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:06 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

GMATGuruNY wrote:Pronoun ambiguity should be considered a LOW-PRIORITY ERROR.
Eliminate an answer choice with a potentially ambiguous pronoun ONLY IF AN ALTERNATE CHOICE AVOIDS THE AMBIGUITY AND IS FREE OF ERRORS.
RBBmba@2014 wrote:1. at first begin -- is unnecessary,redundant.

A: Hurricanes at first begin...because that direction is the way
Here, at first and begin are redundant, as are direction and way.
Eliminate A.

C lacks an independent clause.
The entire answer choice constitutes one long introductory while-modifier.
Eliminate C.

D: Because hurricanes travel at first from east to west, since it is the direction of the prevailing winds in the tropics, they then veer off toward higher latitudes.
Here, the implication is that traveling at first from east to west CAUSES hurricanes then to veer off.
The intention of the original sentence is to express not causation but CONTRAST, as follows:
AT FIRST, hurricanes travel from east to west, BUT they then veer off.
Also, a reader might wonder whether the since-clause modifies the preceding action (hurricanes travel at first) or the following action (they then veer off).
Eliminate D.

In E, hurricanes (subject) lacks a verb.
Eliminate E.

Since A, C, D and E all contain clear, UNDEBATABLE errors, the usage of that in B should be considered correct.

The correct answer is B.
I have a quick question about the D. I know the meaning is little logical, but I want to know if the meaning is right, can I use because and since together as D? I do not think so.
Thanks in advance!

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Mon Apr 11, 2016 3:00 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

Crystal W wrote: I have a quick question about the D. I know the meaning is little logical, but I want to know if the meaning is right, can I use because and since together as D? I do not think so.
Thanks in advance!
A because-clause cannot be followed by a since-clause -- a valid reason to eliminate D.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
GMAT Score:670

by joealam1 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 5:01 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

Hey Mitch,

Can we eliminate A) because of the use of "begin traveling"; i thought that because the sentence is describing a general knowledge so the simple present should prevail instead of the present continuous(which indicate an ongoing action)

I couldn't detect at first read the redundancy that you mentioned first/begin

Thanks.

regards,

Joe