Study Abroad

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Study Abroad

by GoBruins » Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:32 pm
Can you say one of the reasons you chose the school is because they have a strong study abroad program? Would the adcom feel that you don't want to be at the school?

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:13 am
Dear GoBruins,

Wanting to do a study abroad experience will not make the school think you don't want to be there. However, it is important to demonstrate why that experience makes sense for you. Does it make sense with your overall career plan? Study abroad can be difficult to do in business school because of timing. Some electives are only offered once a year, so you want to make sure you don't miss any of those. Likewise, recruiting tends to be skewed to a certain time of year depending on what industry you seek. As long as it makes sense for you, then it is a legitimate reason.

Regards,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:7 members

by Michael@VeritasPrep » Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:16 pm
I don't think study abroad is very practical. Business school is very short when you think about it. About 16 months. It is very much a sprint filled with networking, classes and looking for a job. Taking a few months to go study abroad can cause quite a disruption in that process. Really the only time it makes sense to do it is second semester of your second year, but what if you don't have a job yet? Do you really want to be out of the country looking for a job in the US? It is quite difficult. My suggestion is to travel after graduation, but before job starts.