Best use of 14 hours (over 2 days) to improve score?

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hi,

I studied for about 50 hours (including 2 full practice tests) and got a 40 scaled score on the Quantitative section (I got 48V, so I'm luckily fine there). I am retaking the GMAT in a few days and have about 14 hours to allocate to further practice and prep, and 2 days over which to allocate that time.

What would be the best use of that time to boost my score as much as I can? Timing is my biggest issue (I reviewed GMATFree's review of all the basic mathematical knowledge in my first round of studying, and feel like I know that well. I also reviewed several topics in greater detail in the Manhattan Prep books, and learned basic strategies for DS, word problems, and backsolving, picking numbers from Manhattan and Kaplan. I am certainly weak on several subject areas when it comes to advanced knowledge and strategies, but I feel like I know 80% of the relevant concepts and just can't use my knowledge fast enough.)

I am planning to take 1 more practice test just to get back into the mode of taking the GMAT (my first take was a couple weeks ago). With my remaining time, I am deciding how to allocate my time between the following:
1 - Reviewing that practice test in detail
2 - Studying some topics in the Manhattan GMAT guides where I am particularly weak
3 - Doing associated problems at the end of the chapters I study (timed)
4 - Doing associated problems in the OG (timed)

My current plan is to review the practice test in detail, then do some mix of 2-4 with my remaining time.

Would I be better off, say, skipping 1 and 2 and just doing 3 and 4 to get faster? Should I focus my OG practice on the topics where I am stronger? Weaker? Random mix?

Would appreciate any suggestions you have - I know this is far from the optimal situation, but trying to boost my score as much as I can.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:41 am
Hi sjsjsj,

Since you posted this message in another Forum on this site, I've pasted over my response from there:

With a Q40, you're likely missing out on some big points in certain Quant categories or question types. While 'cramming' in the last few days before the GMAT is generally NOT a good idea, as long as you don't overdo any of the work (and don't 'burn out'), you could do some focused studying in certain areas and potentially improve your score. Based on this last CAT score, are there any specific areas that you're losing points in (your 'weak' areas)?

1) What is your score goal?
2) When are you planning to apply to Business School?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]