Alternate Transcript for admissions + pre-mba internship?

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hi!

I currently work for a startup, but I'd like to pursue an MBA from a top program in about 3-4 years when my equity stake vests. I have a liberal arts background from a top university with a 3.8 cumulative GPA. I haven't taken the GMAT yet, but plan to do so as I get closer to applying.

I'm interested in building an alternate transcript of accounting, corporate finance, economics, and statistics courses over the next few years for three purposes:
(1) Improve my quantitative skills and get a feel for the topics I'm likely to encounter in business school;
(2) (Hopefully) improve my chances of admission;
(3) Secure a pre-MBA internship in investment banking.

I'm wondering what types of courses are considered credible for my purposes. I live in NYC so I can take courses through NYU's School of Professional Studies or Baruch College's Division of Continuing and Professional Studies. Are courses from these institutions viewed favorably? I'd prefer to take classes online for the sake of flexibility, but I've been having trouble finding good online courses - are there any institutions that many people have used? In general I've found that a lot of the certificate programs (e.g. UC Berkeley's finance certificate) are overpriced, so I'd rather put together my own set of courses that focus on the same subjects.

Thanks so much, and I'd be happy to provide any additional background if its helpful.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:9 members

by MargaretStrother » Mon Dec 28, 2015 6:49 am
Good question! And how smart of you to start thinking about this now, instead of at the last minute.
In my opinion, you don't need to pursue a certification program, but it is excellent to start building key skills through coursework. Many applicants use UCLA's highly regarded online business extension classes for this, starting with core topics like calculus and statistics.

You might also think about it from the point of view of the GMAT: where are your skills and weaknesses? How could these courses not only bulk up your candidacy but also strengthen your quant skills in advance of the GMAT? Taking a timed practice GMAT test would be a good way to approach this -- you'll identify what you know and what you don't know, and you can leverage your studies to work for you in this area as well.

Local courses, such as Baruch College, are also good options, but some people like to get the brand-name of a top b-school such as UCLA or Berkeley. Does it matter? After all, calculus is calculus. Well, MBA applications are pretty darn competitive, so if you have any asset at all that you can maximize, why not make the most of it?

Good luck,
Margaret Strother
Margaret Strother
Senior Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me