11th OG Page, 347 Question 5

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
GMAT Score:710

11th OG Page, 347 Question 5

by airan » Tue May 20, 2008 6:26 am
he passage supports which of the following inferences about breeding among Lycaon pictus?
(A) The largest female in the social group does not maintain reproductive status by means of behavioral control.
(B) An individual’s ability to breed is related primarily to its rate of growth.
(C) Breeding is the only task performed by the breeding female.
(D) Breeding in the social group is not cooperative. (E)
(E) Breeding is not dominated by a single pair of dogs.

OA is E, but the passage text says
but unlike naked mole rats, most cooperatively breeding vertebrates (except the wild dog, Lycaon pictus) (35) are dominated by a pair of breeders rather than by a single breeding female
Can someone help to explain why E is correct, when the passage clearly says that Lycaon pictus is dominated by single breeders(exception to pair of breededs ?
Thanks
Airan

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by jaspire » Wed May 21, 2008 9:40 am
If you read the sentence you quoted, it says that ly. pictus are NOT dominated by a pair of breeders.Hence only E makes sense.

Also by process of elimination, A,B,C,D do not contain any information on
ly. pictus. So it leaves you only with E!

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
GMAT Score:690

by Jason11 » Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:18 am
The official answer explains it with the same way. Even though I read the quote carefully, I still can't see that relation. From my side:

most cooperatively breeding vertebrates are dominated by a pair of breeders.

But using the word "except"; all I understand is that "the wild dog, Lycaon pictus are not dominated by a pair of breeders."

The OA also tells that " The wild dog is mentioned as an exception to the rule that most cooperatively breeding vertebrates... are dominated by a pair of breeders rather than by a single breeding female. It is reasonable to infer that breeding among these wild dogs is not dominated by a pair of breeders."

But the answer is the reverse. Can anyone elaborate it?

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by gwendolinecn » Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:58 pm
I made the same "mistake" as described by all of you. I selected E. I felt depressed with the mistakes because I thought there should not be so many mistakes with this passage.
Anyone likes to share your opinions?