Doubt SC B 7

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

Doubt SC B 7

by aditya8062 » Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:30 pm
Art is a visual way for some people to reflect upon what is going on in their cultural and natural environment, and allows a way to see how people perceive their natural world.

A) and allows a way to see how people perceive their natural world
B) while allowing a way to see how people perceive their natural world
C) while allowing another way to see how people perceive their natural world
D) and allows others a way for seeing how people perceive their natural world
E) while allowing others a way to see how people perceive their natural world

my concern: i find this question flawed. the proclaimed answer is E; however i feel that in E the construction "COMMA+WHILE+ALLOWING" is a typical construction of VERBLESS clause and hence it will take the preceding noun "cultural and natural environment" as its subject ,thereby giving the following interpretation:
Art is a visual way for some people to reflect upon what is going on in their cultural and natural environment, while [cultural and natural environment is] allowing others a way to see how people perceive their natural world
thanks and best regards

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Thu Dec 17, 2015 4:13 am
In some cases, a subordinate clause will omit a subject and verb when their presence is clearly understood.
Such a clause is called a VERBLESS clause.
Typically, the omitted verb is a form of TO BE.

From the OG12:
Rising inventories, if not accompanied by corresponding increases in sales, can lead to production cutbacks that would hamper economic growth.
Implied meaning:
Rising inventories, if [they are] not accompanied by corresponding increases in sales, can lead to production cutbacks that would hamper economic growth.

From the OG10:
Although accounting for only 5 percent of the world's population, United States citizens consume 28 percent of its nonrenewable resources.
Implied meaning:
Although [they are] accounting for only 5 percent of the world's population, United States citizens consume 28 percent of its nonrenewable resources.

In each case, the bracketed words are omitted, but their presence is understood.
Rule:
The implied subject of a verbless clause must be CRYSTAL CLEAR.

E: Art is a visual way for some people to reflect upon what is going on in their cultural and natural environment, while allowing others a way to see how people perceive their natural world.
Here, the implied subject of the verbless clause in red is not crystal clear.
Eliminate E.

Ignore this SC.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Legendary Member

by aditya8062 » Thu Dec 17, 2015 4:39 am
Thanks Guru
kindly tell me had COMMA not been there BETWEEN "environment" AND "while" then will E be correct? i remember you had once told that in that case (when verbless clause is not separated from main clause BY COMMA) the verbless clause takes the subject of the previous clause as the subject of verbless clause
thanks and best regards

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:09 am
aditya8062 wrote:Thanks Guru
kindly tell me had COMMA not been there BETWEEN "environment" AND "while" then will E be correct? i remember you had once told that in that case (when verbless clause is not separated from main clause BY COMMA) the verbless clause takes the subject of the previous clause as the subject of verbless clause
No.
In E, the nearest subject that precedes while allowing is what -- subject of the nearest preceding verb is -- but the intended subject for while allowing is art.
The structure in E is not viable.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Legendary Member

by aditya8062 » Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:31 am
thanks guru
thanks and best regards