URM Profile Evaluation

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

URM Profile Evaluation

by leveragedtothehilt » Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:32 pm
Thanks in advance!

1) 3 years in a BB (Deutsche Bank / Credit Suisse / Barclays) S&T role (front office)
2) GMAT: 700
3) Top 10 Public University
Major: Business Administration - Finance
GPA: 3.90
Major GPA: 4.00
Graduated 2012
4) Over 300 hours of community service after graduation, nothing too significant in college other than fraternity leadership, investment club participation, and being a teaching assistant
5) No certifications.
6) Goal of an MBA is to rebrand and transition into either real estate or investment banking (capital markets)

Other information:

Male, Hispanic URM
Schools I am interested in learning about my chances for: All M7 Schools, Yale, Cornell, Tuck, NY

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:9 members

by MargaretStrother » Wed Dec 16, 2015 6:56 am
You've got some great stuff here! GMAT is a bit low for the schools on your list, but everything else looks promising. I'd certainly recommend retaking the GMAT to get up around 710, 720, just so that you don't have to worry about it -- with that GPA, I'm sure you can score higher. Your extensive community service will also be important for your application strategy, particularly if it was in a leadership role.

I'm not seeing HBS in this profile yet, but this would depend a lot more on the leadership you've been exercising in your community service roles, and also on your long-term career vision. Many top MBA programs can get you into real estate or investment banking, but where do you see yourself in 20 years? How will your vision lead you to a role that adds value to the school's brand? Cornell or Tuck will not be so concerned, but if you're applying to HBS, what makes you "Harvard-y"? It's worth thinking about...

Good luck,
Margaret Strother
Margaret Strother
Senior Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me