GMAT Score 680- Retake?

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

GMAT Score 680- Retake?

by qwerty12321 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:13 am
I took the GMAT today and got a score of 680 ( IR-8, Verbal -34, Quant-49 )
Do I need to retake the GMAT if I plan on applying to HBS, Yale, MIT, Stanford and ISB YLP?

GMAT/MBA Expert

Legendary Member
Followed by:52 members

by CriticalSquareMBA » Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:22 am
Hey there,

Well, to answer that question, we need a TON more info. The GMAT is just one (albeit super important) part of your profile. What about your academics? If they weren't great, that makes the GMAT more important. What about your professional experiences? Really impactful or unique ones help. There's a lot to consider so don't by shy! The more you share, the better our answers.

Bhavik
Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Facebook | Twitter

We love helping! Was this post helpful to you? Thank us and let me know!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:10 members

by myEssayReview » Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:03 pm
I absolutely agree with Bhavik. GMAT is just one, though very important, component of your candidacy . The quality of your work experience,your accomplishments, leadership experiences, extra curricular activities, and community involvement are other significant parts of your profile. If your profile is strong in these areas , it may offset your GMAT. However, we will need more details to be able to offer advice whether you should retake it or not. Also, I would like to say that 680 is not a bad score;people do get accepted into top schools with this score when other aspects of their profile are stronger.

I hope it helped.
If you find my post helpful, please let me know by pushing the thank button.
myEssayReview- A personalized and dedicated essay review service
https://myessayreview.com/
Email:[email protected]

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Followed by:3 members

by KDogg87 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:08 pm
You have to make a judgement for yourself. It's not easy but I do know for sure that the GMAT is just one data point for your overall application. Everything needs to work together. I didn't have the best score in all the land but managed to get into Stanford GSB so decide if you have enough time to study enough and increase your score with a retake.

Good luck!

Video Blog: Getting into Stanford GSB - Tips: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2Pcn_VQuDo
Latest video blog about my application:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9cMfeMY36c

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:31 members
GMAT Score:620

by Kaneisha Grayson » Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:49 am
Hi Qwerty,

If it's your first or second time taking it, I would say definitely YES, study and retake it again and try for an even higher score.

If it's your third time, I would say go ahead and keep that score and start focusing on your essays.

Either way, I am a big believer that the GMAT is just a hurdle to get over and the essays are the most important part of your application, so don't neglect those in favor of a higher test score.

Best of luck! Lucky you for already having a pretty good baseline score!
Kaneisha
Harvard Business School MBA 2010, Harvard Kennedy School MPA 2010
Founder, The Art of Applying
Admissions Consulting for MBA, MPP, Joint Degrees, and Fellowships
https://theartofapplying.com

Want free advice that actually works? Sign up for my weekly MBA, MPP, and JD newsletter here: https://theartofapplying.com/newsletter/

My clients have earned over $3.1 million in fellowships from Harvard and other top MBA, MPP, and JD programs since 2010.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:760

by GeneralEd » Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:46 am
Hi qwerty12321,

I agree with above comments, GMAT is not only the component B-Schools consider. GMAT is definitely one of the important component but there are other parameters too like your work experience, extracurricular, academics, achievements etc. If your overall profile (work experience, academics and extracurricular) is good then 680 will also do. If its not, then I would suggest you to retake your GMAT and target 710+ GMAT Score.

The B-Schools you have mentioned above are top global B-Schools and the competition is very tough to get into these B-Schools. You may also gauge your chances of getting admission in such B-Schools by trying this amazing tool https://bit.ly/1v5KJj4

Feel free to PM your resume/profile for free consultation.

Hope that helps.

Cheers!
General Education
https://www.genedmba.com/

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by Daru » Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:25 am
Hello,

As I have also had 680, I have a similar question...

I retried the GMAT today (it's 4pm here on Paris), I haven't got the score I expected, and as I was preparing my application to Stanford, I'm not sure what to do =/
I learned about the GMAT during late october 2014, and took it on oct. 27th.
After 4 practise tests during the week just before (650 Q49 V30 / 650 Q45 V34 / 610 Q48 V25 / 630 Q44 V32), I've done 670 Q49 V32 on the real test.
As I decided to retake it to pass the 700 floor, I got 720 / 710 / 740 / and screwed up yesterday with 680 (Q48 V36). Only my verbal moved (I focused on SC).
So I couldn't fall asleep and today I also got 680 (Q49 V35), and I can't take it a third time before the deadline.

I have an acceptable profile (Not sure what my grades are worth though, the french system does not rank and 14/20 is considered equivalent to US "A", as the point here is to pass, not to have "A"); License in computer sciences (2011), master in communication from a famous school (feb 2015); 2 months summer job in Bank of France (2009), 1 year full-time apprenticeship in a EDF subsidiary, freelancer since 2010, elected Chairman of Mensa France -and youngest ever worldwide- for 1 year (2012-2013); founder of soon-to-be www.mind-ur-business.com.

So some cool things, but as I'm not sure how to evaluate my grade, as my GMAT is weak and does not reflect what I can do im(h)o, and as I know Stanford is extremely competitive, I really have a hard time evaluating my chances =/
Could somebody advise me on how to deal with that GMAT score as now I'm stuck with it ? I've thought about talking about it in my optional essay but I heard it could be perceived as whiny and thus raise a red flag; however, Stanford is really the school I want (mindset much more compatible with mine than most other top-ranked B-schools, and opportunities plumet with Forbes/FT rank so I'm not willing to accept a 2nd-tier B-school and would rather reapply), so I'd like to be sure that my application is as optimized as possible...

Followed by:7 members

by Michael@VeritasPrep » Sat Oct 24, 2015 5:24 pm
Yes, unfortunately you will definitely have to retake the GMAT to get into a school like HBS. I know that can be daunting, but it is one of the best schools out there, so your whole application will have to be top notch in order to have a chance. Having a low GMAT will be a pretty glaring weakness that will not go unnoticed or be interpreted differently by different admission committee members like essays or work experience could be.

Followed by:7 members

by Michelle@ARINGO » Mon Dec 14, 2015 2:13 am
qwerty12321 wrote:I took the GMAT today and got a score of 680 ( IR-8, Verbal -34, Quant-49 )
Do I need to retake the GMAT if I plan on applying to HBS, Yale, MIT, Stanford and ISB YLP?
HBS and Stanford may be a bit of a stretch with that score, although we've seen many cases of applicants getting admitted to top programs with low GMAT scores, as you can see here: https://www.aringo.com/Aringo_TOP_MBA_GMAT_Results.htm