Siberia Lake Baikal

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

Siberia Lake Baikal

by qwerty12321 » Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:29 am
More than 300 rivers drain into Siberia's Lake Baikal, which holds 20 percent of the world's fresh water, more than all the North American Great Lakes combined.

(A) More than 300 rivers drain into Siberia's Lake Baikal, which holds 20 percent of the world's fresh water, more than all the North American Great Lakes combined.

(B) With 20 percent of the world's fresh water, that is more than all the North American Great Lakes combined, Siberia's Lake Baikal has more than 300 rivers that drain into it.

(C) Siberia's Lake Baikal, with more than 300 rivers draining into it, it holds more of the world's fresh water than all that of the North American Great Lakes combined, 20 percent.

(D) While more than 300 rivers drain into it, Siberia's Lake Baikal holds 20 percent of the world's fresh water, which is more than all the North American Great Lakes combined.

(E) More than all the North American Great Lakes combined, Siberia's Lake Baikal, with more than 300 rivers draining into it, holds 20 percent of the world's fresh water.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by qwerty12321 » Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:30 am
Can someone explain me why (B) is incorrect?

Thanks

Legendary Member
Followed by:34 members
GMAT Score:650

by theCodeToGMAT » Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:48 am
qwerty12321 wrote:Can someone explain me why (B) is incorrect?

Thanks
Never saw "that" with comma..
R A H U L

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:14 pm
More than 300 rivers drain into Siberia's Lake Baikal, which holds 20 percent of the world's fresh water, more than all the North American Great Lakes combined.

A. More than 300 rivers drain into Siberia's Lake Baikal, which holds 20 percent of the world's fresh water, more than all the North American Great Lakes combined.
B. With 20 percent of the world's fresh water, that is more than all the North American Great Lakes combined, Siberia's Lake Baikal has more than 300 rivers that drain into it.
C. Siberia's Lake Baikal, with more than 300 rivers draining into it, it holds more of the world's fresh water than all that of the North American Great Lakes combined, 20 percent.
D. While more than 300 rivers drain into it, Siberia's Lake Baikal holds 20 percent of the world's fresh water, which is more than all the North American Great Lakes combined.
E. More than all the North American Great Lakes combined, Siberia's Lake Baikal, with more than 300 rivers draining into it, holds 20 percent of the world's fresh water.
In B, that lacks a clear antecedent.
If that is standing in for 20% of the world's fresh water, we get:
With 20% of the world's fresh water, 20% of the world's fresh water is more than all the North American Great Lakes combined.
This meaning is nonsensical.
Eliminate B.

In C, holds serves as the verb for it.
Thus, Siberia's Lake Baikal (subject) lacks a verb.
Eliminate C.

On the GMAT, which + singular verb must refer to the nearest preceding singular noun.
In D, which seems to refer to the world's fresh water, implying that the WORLD'S FRESH WATER
is more than all the North American Great Lakes combined.
Not the intended meaning.
Eliminate D.

E implies that Siberia's Lake Baikal is more than all the North American Great Lakes combined.
This meaning is nonsensical: a lake cannot be MORE than another lake.
Eliminate E.

The correct answer is A.

B: Siberia's Lake Baikal has more than 300 rivers.
A lake is a body of water.
A body of water does not HAVE rivers.
Another reason to eliminate B.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

by RBBmba@2014 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 6:41 am
GMATGuruNY wrote:

A. More than 300 rivers drain into Siberia's Lake Baikal, which holds 20 percent of the world's fresh water, more than all the North American Great Lakes combined.
B. With 20 percent of the world's fresh water, that is more than all the North American Great Lakes combined, Siberia's Lake Baikal has more than 300 rivers that drain into it.
C. Siberia's Lake Baikal, with more than 300 rivers draining into it, it holds more of the world's fresh water than all that of the North American Great Lakes combined, 20 percent.
D. While more than 300 rivers drain into it, Siberia's Lake Baikal holds 20 percent of the world's fresh water, which is more than all the North American Great Lakes combined.
E. More than all the North American Great Lakes combined, Siberia's Lake Baikal, with more than 300 rivers draining into it, holds 20 percent of the world's fresh water.
In B, that lacks a clear antecedent.
If that is standing in for 20% of the world's fresh water, we get:
With 20% of the world's fresh water, 20% of the world's fresh water is more than all the North American Great Lakes combined.
This meaning is nonsensical.
Eliminate B.

B: Siberia's Lake Baikal has more than 300 rivers.
A lake is a body of water.
A body of water does not HAVE rivers.
Another reason to eliminate B.
Hi GMATGuruNY - Please let me know whether the followings could be other reasons to eliminate B :

1. THAT is preceded by a COMMA. In GMAT, there should be NO COMMA before THAT. Right ?

2. Isn't the CONSTRUCTION in B AWKWARD ?

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Fri Oct 30, 2015 5:56 am
Hi GMATGuruNY - Please let me know whether the followings could be other reasons to eliminate B :

1. THAT is preceded by a COMMA. In GMAT, there should be NO COMMA before THAT. Right ?
In the vast majority of cases, COMMA + that will constitute an error.
But there are exceptions.
An OA with COMMA + that:
Galileo did not invent the telescope, but on hearing, in 1609, that such an optical instrument had been made, he quickly built his own device.
Yes.
One error in B is the usage of a COMMA SPLICE: a comma incorrectly serving to connect two complete sentences.
In B, the following two sentences are connected solely by a comma:
That is more than all the North American Great Lakes combined.
Siberia's Lake Baikal has more than 300 rivers.

If a comma can be replaced by a period, eliminate the answer choice.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Legendary Member

by RBBmba@2014 » Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:25 pm
GMATGuruNY wrote:

In the vast majority of cases, COMMA + that will constitute an error.
But there are exceptions.
An OA with COMMA + that:
Galileo did not invent the telescope, but on hearing, in 1609, that such an optical instrument had been made, he quickly built his own device.
(1) I think, in the SC you cited above (re Galileo), COMMA + that CONSTRUCTION comes into play ONLY because there is a (prepositional) PHRASE inserted before that with the help of TWO COMMAS. Am I correct ?

(2)On GMAT, could there be any OTHER reason for which COMMA + that STRUCTURE would be valid ?
GMATGuruNY wrote:
Yes.
One error in B is the usage of a COMMA SPLICE: a comma incorrectly serving to connect two complete sentences.
In B, the following two sentences are connected solely by a comma:
That is more than all the North American Great Lacks combined.
Siberia's Lake Baikal has more than 300 rivers.

If a comma can be replaced by a period, eliminate the answer choice.
Thanks for confirming.

(1) As for COMMA SPLICE - by complete sentences, did you mean INDEPENDENT CLAUSES ?

(2) And, could you please elaborate a BIT on your statement in RED in the above quote ? I don't think, I got this portion completely, so it'd be great if you could shed some light...

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Sat Oct 31, 2015 2:27 am
RBBmba@2014 wrote: (1) I think, in the SC you cited above (re Galileo), COMMA + that CONSTRUCTION comes into play ONLY because there is a (prepositional) PHRASE inserted before that with the help of TWO COMMAS. Am I correct ?
Correct.
(2)On GMAT, could there be any OTHER reason for which COMMA + that STRUCTURE would be valid ?
Not that I can think of.
(1) As for COMMA SPLICE - by complete sentences, did you mean INDEPENDENT CLAUSES ?

(2) And, could you please elaborate a BIT on your statement in RED in the above quote ? I don't think, I got this portion completely, so it'd be great if you could shed some light...
An independent clause is a group of words that could serve -- on its own -- as a complete sentence.
A comma cannot serve to link two independent clauses.
If a comma can be replaced by a period -- yielding two complete sentences, each of which can stand on its own -- then eliminate the answer choice.
This error is known as a COMMA SPLICE.

B: that is more than all the North American Great Lakes combined, Siberia's Lake Baikal has more than 300 rivers.
Here, the comma can be replaced by a period:
That is more than all the North American Great Lakes combined. Siberia's Lake Baikal has more than 300 rivers.
Each of the sentences above can stand on its own.
Since the comma can be replaced by a period, eliminate B.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Legendary Member

by RBBmba@2014 » Sat Oct 31, 2015 5:26 am
GMATGuruNY wrote: An independent clause is a group of words that could serve -- on its own -- as a complete sentence.
A comma cannot serve to link two independent clauses.
If a comma can be replaced by a period -- yielding two complete sentences, each of which can stand on its own -- then eliminate the answer choice.
This error is known as a COMMA SPLICE.

B: that is more than all the North American Great Lakes combined, Siberia's Lake Baikal has more than 300 rivers.
Here, the comma can be replaced by a period:
That is more than all the North American Great Lakes combined. Siberia's Lake Baikal has more than 300 rivers.
Each of the sentences above can stand on its own.
Since the comma can be replaced by a period, eliminate B.
Not able to understand that how EXACTLY this sentence -- That is more than all the North American Great Lakes combined. -- is an INDEPENDENT CLAUSE ? What is the SUBJECT and how does it (re this sentence) stand on its own ?

In GENERAL, what are the different USAGES of THAT in GMAT ?

Could you please shed light on this ?

Legendary Member

by RBBmba@2014 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 4:28 am
Hi GMATGuruNY - could you please provide your feedback on my above concerns ?

Look forward to your thoughts.Much thanks in advance!

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:20 am
RBBmba@2014 wrote: Not able to understand that how EXACTLY this sentence -- That is more than all the North American Great Lakes combined. -- is an INDEPENDENT CLAUSE ? What is the SUBJECT and how does it (re this sentence) stand on its own ?
The subject here is that.
On the GMAT, this sentence would not be viable because that lacks a clear antecedent.
Outside the GMAT, however, one can find many such sentences.
Examples from the NY Times:
That is why a longstanding academic debate is now at the core of the Fed's policy debate.
That is not where the action is.
That is the default grade.
While I applaud your thirst for knowledge, it is unrealistic to ask for EVERY possible usage of a grammatical structure.
A grammar book could devote an entire chapter to the various usages of that.
Last edited by GMATGuruNY on Mon Dec 21, 2015 4:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Legendary Member

by RBBmba@2014 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:47 am
GMATGuruNY wrote:
RBBmba@2014 wrote: Not able to understand that how EXACTLY this sentence -- That is more than all the North American Great Lakes combined. -- is an INDEPENDENT CLAUSE ? What is the SUBJECT and how does it (re this sentence) stand on its own ?
The subject here is that.
On the GMAT, this sentence would not be viable because that lacks a clear antecedent.
On the GMAT, that may not serve as a stand-alone subject.
A quick question - if this particular sentence is not be viable on GMAT, then how we can say that it is one of those INDEPENDENT CLAUSES that cause a COMMA SPLICE ?

Getting lost here...could you please help ?
GMATGuruNY wrote:Outside the GMAT, however, one can find many such sentences.

Examples from the NY Times:
That is why a longstanding academic debate is now at the core of the Fed's policy debate.
That is not where the action is.
That is the default grade.
ABSOLUTELY agree to this... (that's why I got confused!)
GMATGuruNY wrote:
While I applaud your thirst for knowledge, it is unrealistic to ask for EVERY possible usage of a grammatical structure.
A grammar book could devote an entire chapter to the various usages of that.
Actually I didn't even imagine that EVEN on GMAT, THAT will have such vast usage, otherwise I won't have asked such question certainly!! :-) Much thanks for your reply although.

Legendary Member

by RBBmba@2014 » Sat Dec 12, 2015 9:49 am
Hi GMATGuruNY,
Could you please share your thoughts ONLY on my FIRST doubt (about COMMA SPLICE) raised above ?

Look forward to your feedback. Much thanks in advance!