doubt SC B 5

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

doubt SC B 5

by aditya8062 » Sat Dec 12, 2015 9:37 am
The thick blooms of blue-green algae that release the hazardous toxin microcystin explode into existence by the agricultural runoff of fertilizers and animal wastes, pesticides and other chemicals, and effluent from towns, cities, and industrial facilities decompose at high temperatures.

A release the hazardous toxin microcystin explode into existence by
B released the hazardous toxin microcystin exploded into existence when
C release the hazardous toxin microcystin explode into existence when
D releasing the hazardous toxin microcystin exploding into existence if
E release microcystin, a hazardous toxin, explode into existence if

my doubt: the proclaimed answer is C; however i want to know as why E is not viable. the reason given by makers of this questions is very awkward. they claim that the ORIGINAL meaning of the sentence is not about "IF THEN" conditional statement.; however my point is HOW DO We know what is the original intent of the sentence

Legendary Member
Followed by:140 members
GMAT Score:800

by MartyMurray » Sun Dec 13, 2015 8:05 pm
aditya8062 wrote:
my doubt: the proclaimed answer is C; however i want to know as why E is not viable. the reason given by makers of this questions is very awkward. they claim that the ORIGINAL meaning of the sentence is not about "IF THEN" conditional statement.; however my point is HOW DO We know what is the original intent of the sentence
The task of a person taking the GMAT is to get right answers.

I think that maybe a person doing this question can determine which answer is the OA, even though I totally agree with you that actually there is no clear reason why E is wrong. Still, likely one could figure out that the point is not that the blooms occur if the substances decompose at high heat, but rather that they occur when the substances decompose.

So if we are just talking about the right answer getting aspect of taking the GMAT, we could say that the right answer to this question is probably, or maybe, gettable.

Having said that, I don't believe that this question accurately represents how official GMAT questions work. I have never seen a GMAT question that requires deciding between two basically viable meanings the way this question does. In official GMAT questions, there is always a reason why one answer choice is right that is clearer than the reason why the OA to this question is better than E.
Marty Murray
Perfect Scoring Tutor With Over a Decade of Experience
MartyMurrayCoaching.com
Contact me at [email protected] for a free consultation.