Any chance getting into Harvard or Sloan?

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by thkhoury » Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:34 am
Hello,
I apologize in advance for the vague question above, I will try to elaborate as much as I can.

1.1 GMAT 740 (I haven't taken the GMAT yet, but i am targeting 740 at least)

1.2 University of Massachusetts Dartmouth, ma
-M.S in structural engineering, 2014, GPA 3.7/4.0
-B.S. in civil engineering, 2011, GPA 3.6/4.0

1.3 Engineering related experience:
I currently work at a national engineering firm that designs, investigates, and rehabilitates structures, building enclosures, and materials. My work constitutes about 70% investigation and 30% design. My typical duties at work includes design and preparation of construction documents, and drawings management and production. I have prepared forensic investigation reports for various public and private projects including providing litigation support. I have a good background in forensic investigation. I have worked on claims ranging from $10,000 to $20,000,000,000. In fact, I just wrapped up a case that involved a 55 million dollar law suit. I worked on this case solely with the principal in charge and we got the other party to settle in 3 months.

1.4 Business related experience:
- Founder and owner of xxx Inc. (2011-2014); frozen yogurt and crepes
-Founder and owner of ifixiphone online stores (2008-2011)
- Manager and car inspector at xxxx gas station, New Bedford, ma (2007-2011)
-Car dealer, USA-xxx & USA-Africa routes (2007-2012)

1.5 Extracurricular Activities during College
"¢None: That's probably Red Flag # 1, but let me explain.

o Short story: I had to work on average 65 hours/week throughout college, to survive and help my family
(parents and siblings) survive. If you are interested to know more please send me a private email, and
I will send you the full story.

1.6 Extracurricular Activities Back Home
o 4 years boys scout - I did a lot community activities that involved but not limited to planting trees,
collecting trash, helping kids with need, organizing Christmas parties for the poor and so on.
o Two times Mount xxx Trap Shooting Champion
o Two times Mount xxx high school basketball league champion
o I started working by the age of 14. By the age of 16 I was operating heavy duty machinery (not sure how is
that legal? welcome to undeveloped countries) such as but not limited to dumb trucks, wheel loader,
caterpillar 225 hydraulic excavator, 10 tons vibratory roller, and so on.

1.7 In the current time
o Full time engineer
o Working on a startup up in the food and tech industry. We are still at the planning level.

Thank you for your time, and please let me know if you have any questions.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by Melissa@Fortuna » Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:36 am
Hi there,

You've got a very interesting profile...

Sounds like your academics are great and of course a 740 GMAT would be terrific- definitely good to achieve this or higher for these 2 schools.

Your work experience and projects sounds great - need to demonstrate your leaderships skills through your work experience as leadership is key for most schools, particularly harvard. But you definitely have diversity with your starts ups on the side and you seem like you have a unique story to tell, re: your upbringing and working hard your whole life which could totally compensate the lack of extra curriculars. Is it possible for you to start engaging in something else outside of work? Hobbies/volunteering? This could help with your applications.

I can't make a full assessment if you would be admitted to these schools or not, particularly without a gmat score and there is still some missing info (also what is your nationality and where is home?, but from what I can see you've got a very good profile with some experiences that definitely stand out.

It would be worth a chat with us to see if in fact Harvard and Sloan would be the best fit for you in terms of reaching your short and long term goals. If you'd like a further assessment (free) we have an expert on our team who knows just about everything about each school so he could definitely tell you if these schools or others would be best for you and to assess your chances. He's been in the MBA world for 20+ years. Let me know!

Hope this helps

Best,
-Melissa and the Fortuna Admissions Team

Melissa Jones | Fortuna Admissions - a dream team of former Admissions Directors from the world's top business schools

Interested in a free 30-minute admissions consultation? Sign up on our website https://www.fortunadmissions.com

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:35 members

by MBAPrepAdvantage » Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:11 am
Of course you have a chance. Here is an article on what MBA admissions committees are looking for that might help you.
Michael Cohan
MBAPrepAdvantage Founder & AIGAC Board Director
305-604-8178
www.mbaprepadvantage.com

Please thank and/or like individual posts.

Follow Michael Cohan on Image Image and BeattheGMAT.
Follow MBAPrepAdvantage on Image Image Image.

For a free assessment email [email protected] your target schools, goals, resume, GPA and GMAT or fill out our Free MBA Admissions Consultation Form.