Profile Evaluation & Suggestion - 680, 11+ yr. Govt Sect

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hi...

My academic credential are as follows:

(i) Graduated in Mechanical Engineering from State University in 2003. Scored 71.96%
(ii) GATE 2004 Score (eq. to GRE): 97.55 percentile - All India Rank 594/24891
(iii) GMAT Score: V35 Q49 Total 680 (Date of test - 27.01.2015) AWA 5.0 IR 5.0

Work Experience:

11 years of experience in Commercial Contracts Management & Public Procurement. Presently working in world's third largest power transmission utility employing nearly 10000 employees.

Highlights:
 Getting all the promotions and rose in Corporate Hierarchy. Not a single promotion drop so far.
 Handled several World Bank funded projects, Consultancy projects and projects in neighboring countries viz. Nepal and Myanmar.

Now my queries are:

(I) Is my profile suitable for two year MBA program?
(II) If no, which one year MBA program should I apply to?
(III) Should I retake GMAT to strengthen my application?

Any sort of suggestion shall be highly appreciated. Thanks and regards

Manuji Chaubey

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by Melissa@Fortuna » Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:10 pm
Hi Manuji,

I'm still missing some key info to do a proper assessment but here goes with what you have provided...

680 is a great score but if you are aiming for a top 10 school, it's best to shoot higher. Not sure what your percentiles are in verbal and quant but this too should be above 75th percentile to remain competitive. But if you are not looking for the top tier schools, 680 is definitely a very strong score. It also really depends on your whole profile eg leadership experience and potential, extra curricular activities, etc. Also as and Indian candidate, competition is quite high so in te 700s will definitely make you more competitive.

You've got a lot of work experience and sounds like great progression- generally people with many years of work experience could be better suited for an Executive MBA. Have you considered that? Also it depends on your post MBA plans. Often schools will take more senior candidates if they are looking to do a major career change so I'm not sure what your post MBA plans are.

Some schools that accept older applicants are the some european ones like HEC, INSEAD and LBS. If you are looking in the US Wharton, Yale and Duke often take more experienced candidates in their full time MBA. Not sure if you are looking for a US school or in other countries.

If you'd like to speak with our expert for 30 minutes (free) on which school might be the best for you, I can definitely put you in touch. Just let me know.

Thanks and all the best,
-Melissa and the Fortuna Admissions Team

Melissa Jones | Fortuna Admissions - a dream team of former Admissions Directors from the world's top business schools

Interested in a free 30-minute admissions consultation? Sign up on our website https://www.fortunadmissions.com

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:12 members
GMAT Score:770

by GeneralEducation » Sun Dec 06, 2015 4:07 am
manujichaubey wrote:Hi...

My academic credential are as follows:

(i) Graduated in Mechanical Engineering from State University in 2003. Scored 71.96%
(ii) GATE 2004 Score (eq. to GRE): 97.55 percentile - All India Rank 594/24891
(iii) GMAT Score: V35 Q49 Total 680 (Date of test - 27.01.2015) AWA 5.0 IR 5.0

Work Experience:

11 years of experience in Commercial Contracts Management & Public Procurement. Presently working in world's third largest power transmission utility employing nearly 10000 employees.

Highlights:
 Getting all the promotions and rose in Corporate Hierarchy. Not a single promotion drop so far.
 Handled several World Bank funded projects, Consultancy projects and projects in neighboring countries viz. Nepal and Myanmar.

Now my queries are:

(I) Is my profile suitable for two year MBA program?
(II) If no, which one year MBA program should I apply to?
(III) Should I retake GMAT to strengthen my application?

Any sort of suggestion shall be highly appreciated. Thanks and regards

Manuji Chaubey
Hi Manuji,

You have solid profile with strong work experience and GMAT score, many people like you with 10+ years work experience struggle to score 650+ in GMAT, this itself shows your strength and determination. Your profile is suitable for both one and two year MBA programs but ideally people with strong work experience tend to focus on 1 year MBA program. You can target top 20 global B-schools, school selection mainly depends on your overall profile, post MBA career goals, geography (US/Europe/Canada or Asia Pacific). So focus on your strengths and plan to start soon. I don't think retaking GMAT will strengthen your case. so Devote more time for your application essays which will help you to increase you chances for interview call.

Regards
Manish
Director (ISB Alumnus)
General Education - India's premier GMAT & Application Consulting company

Get Advice: +91- 90350 50056 | Email Us: [email protected]

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:35 members

by MBAPrepAdvantage » Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:09 am
We describe some Accelerated MBA Programs and list them out on the sidebar on our MBA Planning page.

Many of these accelerated programs are targeted to different audiences, such as applicants with prior business degrees or advanced degrees or applicants who do not require an internship. Do you fit into any of these buckets?

Best of luck,
Michael Cohan
MBAPrepAdvantage Founder & AIGAC Board Director
305-604-8178
www.mbaprepadvantage.com

Please thank and/or like individual posts.

Follow Michael Cohan on Image Image and BeattheGMAT.
Follow MBAPrepAdvantage on Image Image Image.

For a free assessment email [email protected] your target schools, goals, resume, GPA and GMAT or fill out our Free MBA Admissions Consultation Form.