GMAT Quant Guide

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

GMAT Quant Guide

by shahfahad » Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:41 am
Hi everyone. I hope I am posting in the correct category as my question is not an actual GMAT question but is regarding quantitative study guide.

I have completed the GMAT Prep Now course and currently using official guide 2016 to solve practice questions. I have solved practice questions from Beat The GMAT as well.

Now, I want only ONE textbook or quantitative guide for GMAT that helps me to solve exam questions rather than teaching the content of math course. Because I am having problem in making algebraic equations for some tough word problems. Also, solving questions relating to tenths and hundredths digits of decimals, and some other issues as well. I hope I have explained the point.

I will be grateful if as many people can post here so I can check out the guides and figure out the best one for myself. Thanks :-)

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:29 am
Here are two options:
https://www.mba.com/global/store/store-c ... ack-1.aspx
https://www.amazon.com/Official-Quantita ... g=gpn0c-20

Both have official GMAT quant questions.

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

GMAT Quant Guide

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:31 am
To help you focus on one topic at a time, you can use BTG's tagging feature. For example, here are all of the questions tagged as algebra questions: https://www.beatthegmat.com/forums/tags ... th/algebra
See the left side of that linked page for more tag options.
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:37 members

by Max@Math Revolution » Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:34 am
Most textbooks are similar. Also, you have time constraint so it is not easy to recommend any.
You'd better study algebra in SAT 1 math.
In case of Integer, you may think of A-La-Carte (PS Integer, DS Intger and Basic Integer). https://www.mathrevolution.com/gmat/online

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:119 members
GMAT Score:780

by Matt@VeritasPrep » Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:20 am
The OG books won't teach you how to solve problems, at least not directly: they give you lots of problems with which to practice, but they also (deliberately) provide clumsy, cumbersome explanations. If you're having trouble setting up equations in word problems, I recommend this book - I used it to teach high school algebra years ago, and it seemed to work for almost every student, incredibly enough.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by shahfahad » Fri Nov 27, 2015 2:12 am
@Matt: Exactly. The OG does not teach the concepts it just provides practice questions and their explanations. The book you recommended for word problems looks good. Would you say that it includes everything needed for tackling word problem questions on GMAT?

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:119 members
GMAT Score:780

by Matt@VeritasPrep » Fri Nov 27, 2015 2:25 am
shahfahad wrote:@Matt: Exactly. The OG does not teach the concepts it just provides practice questions and their explanations. The book you recommended for word problems looks good. Would you say that it includes everything needed for tackling word problem questions on GMAT?
For setting them up, yeah, it provides the essentials. Once you've set them up, you need to solve them through arithmetic/algebraic/geometric/probabilistic means, and it won't teach you all of those. (But presumably you learned those methods in your course, so it should be alright.)