doubt SC A2

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

doubt SC A2

by aditya8062 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:12 pm
Rightly considered the epitome of Renaissance art and still inspiring awe, the Sistine Chapel ceiling features more than 300 figures that took Michelangelo more than four years to paint them and extensively restored over the past 30 years.

(A) took Michelangelo more than four years to paint them and
(B) took Michelangelo more than four years to paint and
(C) took Michelangelo more than four years to paint and have been
(D) took Michelangelo more than four years to paint it and has been
(E) to paint it took Michelangelo more than four years and

Doubt: i picked C in this question. and my reasoning is there is a paralleleism between "300 figures that took Michelangelo more than four years to paint" AND "300 figures that have been extensively restored over the past 30 years". . the OA is D ; however i find "it" in D troublesome

following is my reasoning as why "IT" is problematic in D . i feel that "IT" in D is redundant .we never say : i am waiting for a women that i love her INSTEAD we say : i am waiting for a women that i love

ALSO even logically Michelangelo can be expected to paint "300 FIGURES" and NOT "the Sistine Chapel ceiling"
Last edited by aditya8062 on Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:530

by vishalwin » Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:35 pm
Hi,

D is indeed the correct answer.

Rightly considered the epitome of Renaissance art and still inspiring awe, the Sistine Chapel ceiling features more than 300 figures that took Michelangelo more than four years to paint it and has been extensively restored over the past 30 years.

See the bolded part above.

Subject of the sentence is "the Sistine Chapel ceiling " and NOT the ceiling features or 300 figures.

Rightly considered the epitome[/b] of Renaissance art and still inspiring awe, the Sistine Chapel ceiling ............... that took Michelangelo more than four years to paint it and has been extensively restored.

So the subject is singular. Hence "it" is fine in D.

Therefore options A & C are out.

B) Rightly considered the epitome of Renaissance art and still inspiring awe, the Sistine Chapel ceiling features......THAT took Michelangelo more than four years to paint and ???? extensively restored over the past 30 years.

We need a verb after "AND".

that (VERB-1......and VERB-2)

e) Rightly considered the epitome of Renaissance art and still inspiring awe, the Sistine Chapel ceiling features more than 300 figures that to paint it took Michelangelo more than four years and

BOLDED PART is awkward.Also, we need a verb (THAT IS IN PRESENT CONTINUOUS TENSE because sentence says "over the 30 years" that means means the action is continuing) after "AND".
Thanks & Regards
vishalwin
------------------------------------
GMAT Score - 530
I will BEAT the GMAT!

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:54 am
aditya8062 wrote:Rightly considered the epitome of Renaissance art and still inspiring awe, the Sistine Chapel ceiling features more than 300 figures that took Michelangelo more than four years to paint them and extensively restored over the past 30 years.

(A) took Michelangelo more than four years to paint them and
(B) took Michelangelo more than four years to paint and
(C) took Michelangelo more than four years to paint and have been
(D) took Michelangelo more than four years to paint it and has been
(E) to paint it took Michelangelo more than four years and
A: figures that took Michelangelo more than four years to paint them
Here, that and them both seem to refer to figures.
Within a single clause, two different pronouns cannot have the same referent.
Eliminate A.

A conjunction such as and must serve to connect PARALLEL FORMS.
B: took...and extensively restored over the past 30 years
Here, took (verb) and extensively restored (modifier) are not parallel forms.
Eliminate B.

In D, it seems to refer to the Sistine Chapel ceiling, implying the following meaning:
The Sistine Chapel ceiling features more than 300 figures that took Michelangelo more than four years to paint the Sistine Chapel ceiling.
This meaning is nonsensical.
Eliminate D.

E: to paint...and extensively restored
Here, to paint (infinitive) and extensively restored (VERBed modifier) are not parallel forms.
Eliminate E.

The correct answer is C.

If the OA is D, ignore this SC.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3