doubt sc A 1

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

doubt sc A 1

by aditya8062 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:25 pm
The largest trade-book publisher in the US has announced the creation of a new digital imprint division, under which it will publish about 20 purely digital works to be sold online as either electronic books or downloadable copies that can be printed upon purchase.

A) works to be sold online as either electronic books or
B) works to sell them online, either as electronic books or
C) works and it will sell them online as either electronic books or as
D) works, and selling them online as either electronic books or as
E) works, and it will sell them online as either electronic books or

Doubt: i have a doubt regarding option E. what is preventing me to view the parallelism BETWEEN "The largest trade-book publisher in the US has announced......" AND "it will sell them online as either electronic books or...." ,after all publishers CAN SELL as well

thanks

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:530

by vishalwin » Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:14 pm
Hi,

Option E is not parallel. See the ORIGINAL meaning of sentence.

Publisher is opening a new IMPRINT division under which HE will only publish and no information is given who will sell the books online.

option E) The largest trade-book publisher in the US has announced the creation of a new digital imprint division, under which it will publish...... works, and it will sell them online....

( Moreover think logically in publishing division we will only publish and for selling we will have separate sales dept.)

options B,C & D places "AS" incorrectly.

option A conveys the original meaning correctly and "AS" is also placed correctly.

A says publisher will create a new imprint division under which new books will be published and will be sold online.

Note: "TO BE" (Passive voice) is completely fine here because we don't know who is going to be selling the books.
Thanks & Regards
vishalwin
------------------------------------
GMAT Score - 530
I will BEAT the GMAT!

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:26 am
A which-clause is a NON-ESSENTIAL modifier.
If a which-clause is removed, the rest of the sentence must be able to stand on its own.
For this reason, a pronoun in an independent clause should not serve to refer to a noun in a non-essential which-clause.
E: a new digital imprint division, under which it will publish about 20 purely digital works to be sold online, and it will sell them
Here, them (a pronoun in an independent clause) incorrectly serves to refer to works (a noun in a non-essential which-clause).
Eliminate E.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Legendary Member

by aditya8062 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:12 am
Thanks guru
your explanation is indeed convincing; however please tell me if following would have been ok: The largest trade-book publisher in the US has announced the creation of a new digital imprint division, under which it will publish about 20 purely digital works, and it will sell such works online as either electronic books or downloadable copies that can be printed upon purchase.

honestly my concern in this amended construction is only with respect to the viability of parallelism between the bold portion as shown above

Thanks and best regards

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:2 members

by bonetlobo » Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:20 am
GMATGuruNY wrote:A which-clause is a NON-ESSENTIAL modifier.
If a which-clause is removed, the rest of the sentence must be able to stand on its own.
For this reason, a pronoun in an independent clause should not serve to refer to a noun in a non-essential which-clause.
E: a new digital imprint division, under which it will publish about 20 purely digital works to be sold online, and it will sell them
Here, them (a pronoun in an independent clause) incorrectly serves to refer to works (a noun in a non-essential which-clause).
Eliminate E.
Hi GMATGuruNY, so following sentence would be incorrect: Microsoft, which created Windows OS, subsequently made considerable modifications to it.

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:39 am
aditya8062 wrote:Thanks guru
your explanation is indeed convincing; however please tell me if following would have been ok: The largest trade-book publisher in the US has announced the creation of a new digital imprint division, under which it will publish about 20 purely digital works, and it will sell such works online as either electronic books or downloadable copies that can be printed upon purchase.

honestly my concern in this amended construction is only with respect to the viability of parallelism between the bold portion as shown above

Thanks and best regards
Two independent clauses connected by and must express actions that are LOGICALLY CONNECTED.

SC52 in the OG12:
Long before it was fashionable to be an expatriate, Josephine Baker made Paris her home, and she remained in France during the Second World War.
Here, the actions in red are logically connected:
To REMAIN in France during the Second World War, Josephine first had to MAKE Paris her home.

The largest trade-book publisher in the US has announced the creation of two new digital imprint divisions, and it will sell digital works online.
Here, the actions in red are NOT logically connected:
To SELL, the publisher does not first have to ANNOUNCE.
Thus, this sentence is not viable.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:09 pm
bonetlobo wrote:Hi GMATGuruNY, so following sentence would be incorrect: Microsoft, which created Windows OS, subsequently made considerable modifications to it.
Since the referent for it is in a non-essential modifier, this sentence does not seem viable.
The following version avoids this issue:
Microsoft, which created Windows OS, subsequently made considerable modifications to the operating system.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Legendary Member

by aditya8062 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:42 pm
Good Day Guru
Thanks again for your reply . kindly tell me one more thing regarding option E

CAN't we see the the PARALLELISM in E as shown in bold portion: The largest trade-book publisher in the US has announced the creation of a new digital imprint division, under which it will publish about 20 purely digital works, and it will sell them online as either electronic books or downloadable copies that can be printed upon purchase.

EFFECTIVELY i am TRYING to view the construction of E as : MAIN CLAUSE + COMMA + MODIFIER ( IN MODIFIER THERE IS PARALLELISM OF TWO RELATED IDEAS)

i have read in some forums that a "PUBLISHING" company CANNOT sell the copies HOWEVER i think it is UNFAIR to make such an assumption. after all a PUBLISHING company SELL copies as well !!

ALSO the parallelism (as shown in bold above) resolves the REQUIREMENT as stated by you: Two independent clauses connected by and must express actions that are LOGICALLY CONNECTED-------> that is under this imprint division the company will do 2 things
1) it will publish about 20 purely digital works
2) it will sell online

Guru kindly help me resolve above discrepency
Thanks

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:30 am
aditya8062 wrote:Good Day Guru
Thanks again for your reply . kindly tell me one more thing regarding option E

CAN't we see the the PARALLELISM in E as shown in bold portion: The largest trade-book publisher in the US has announced the creation of a new digital imprint division, under which it will publish about 20 purely digital works, and it will sell them online as either electronic books or downloadable copies that can be printed upon purchase.

EFFECTIVELY i am TRYING to view the construction of E as : MAIN CLAUSE + COMMA + MODIFIER ( IN MODIFIER THERE IS PARALLELISM OF TWO RELATED IDEAS)

i have read in some forums that a "PUBLISHING" company CANNOT sell the copies HOWEVER i think it is UNFAIR to make such an assumption. after all a PUBLISHING company SELL copies as well !!

ALSO the parallelism (as shown in bold above) resolves the REQUIREMENT as stated by you: Two independent clauses connected by and must express actions that are LOGICALLY CONNECTED-------> that is under this imprint division the company will do 2 things
1) it will publish about 20 purely digital works
2) it will sell online

Guru kindly help me resolve above discrepency
Thanks
A which-clause is not an independent clause but a RELATIVE clause.
A relative clause and an independent clause are not parallel forms.

E: The largest trade-book publisher in the US has announced the creation of a new digital imprint division, under which it will publish about 20 purely digital works, and it will sell them online as either electronic books or downloadable copies that can be printed upon purchase.

Here, and cannot serve to connect under which it will publish (a relative clause) to it will sell (an independent clause).
Grammatically, and must be serving to connect the first independent clause (the largest trade-book publisher in the US has announced) to the second independent clause (it will sell).
Since these two actions are not logically connected, this usage of and is inappropriate.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Legendary Member

by aditya8062 » Thu Nov 26, 2015 5:18 am
Thanks Guru. million thanks to you. got it clear !!

best regards

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:530

by vishalwin » Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:13 am
GMATGuruNY wrote:

E: The largest trade-book publisher in the US has announced the creation of a new digital imprint division, under which it will publish about 20 purely digital works, and it will sell them online as either electronic books or downloadable copies that can be printed upon purchase.

Here, and cannot serve to connect under which it will publish (a relative clause) to it will sell (an independent clause).
Grammatically, and must be serving to connect the first independent clause (the largest trade-book publisher in the US has announced) to the second independent clause (it will sell).
Since these two actions are not logically connected, this usage of and is inappropriate.

Hi Mitch,

I understood that we have Original sentence OR even the correct choice like independent clause + modifier (which-CLAUSE)

independent clause: The largest trade-book publisher in the US has announced the creation of a new digital imprint division

modifier (which-CLAUSE): , under which it will publish about 20 purely digital works to be sold online as either electronic books or downloadable copies that can be printed upon purchase.

After we modified the sentence, it has become like...

Independent clause-1 + modifier + independent clause-2

Independent clause-1:
The largest trade-book publisher in the US has announced the creation of a new digital imprint division

modifier/which-clause : , under which it will publish about 20 purely digital works,

independent clause-2:
it will sell them online as either electronic books or downloadable copies that can be printed upon purchase.

Now we are trying to make parallelism between modifier/which-clause & independent clause-2
Is it right?
Thanks & Regards
vishalwin
------------------------------------
GMAT Score - 530
I will BEAT the GMAT!