Should I retake the GMAT?

Launched June 18, 2009
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Should I retake the GMAT?

by kprachi » Thu Nov 19, 2015 4:50 pm
Hi, I am 28 and have 6 years of work ex. in Marketing Communications and Market Research, and have entrepreneurial experience as well. I moved from India, to Texas a year back, and work with a Media PR startup in Austin.

I appeared for the GMAT the first time and scored 680 (made up of raw scores of Q39, V42). However there was a percentile discrepancy - 42% in quant, and 96% in verbal. (My IR score was 8/8, AWA 5.5/6). One of the colleges in my option pool clearly mentioned requiring a 50th percentile or more in both Q and V. And I assumed my top priority college might also look at that low Quant score negatively (there was no way of being sure, so I decided to retake).

Today I reappeared and scored a 670, although I have for the time being accepted this score and reported it ahead). My percentiles are now more balanced - Quant 65%(raw score Q45), Verbal 84% (raw score V37). Although my IR took a massive hit going to 5/8 (53%).

My top priority is getting into McCombs, UT Austin, for an MBA. My focus had been to get a better balance between my Verbal and Quant, which I have achieved. I'm not sure though if I should still try and take another shot at the GMAT in 20days.

I would be ever so obliged if someone could guide me with the following:
1. How important is the IR score?
2. Considering I have no qualms studying a 3rd time, and the R2 deadlines I am eligible for begin Jan 12 (for courses of my choice), a mid December retake seems well timed?
3. Is it futile to take the exam a 3rd time ONLY AND ONLY with McCombs in mind? (My score conveniently qualifies me for the other programs I am interested in). McCombs profiles their class' avg. GMAT at 692 right now. Is a 670 a major hit??

I hope to hear from you guys.

Thank you.

Regards
Prachi

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:11 members

by mbaMissionJenK » Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:36 pm
Hi Prachi,

Well it sounds like you've gotten a better quant percentile and better 'balance' as you describe it... that said, there's not a lot to LOSE by just fitting in one more 'shot'.... even if you don't prep much, see what happens... and if it does not go well, you can cancel and schools will never know you took it again. ;) Food for thought!!

I wouldn't stress too much about IR.... schools may be starting to slowly look at it a bit more but really the score they 'report' is still the overall score! That is the biggest focus.
Jennifer Kedrowski
MBA Admissions Consultant
www.mbamission.com
[email protected]

Register for a Free Consult from mbaMission: https://www.mbamission.com/consult.php

Visit the mbaMission Blog: www.mbamission.com/blog

Follow mbaMission on Twitter: https://twitter.com/mbaMission

Like mbaMission on Facebook: www.facebook.com/mbaMission

Read the Free mbaMission School-Specific Insider's Guides: www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders