MBA HEC Paris - Human Resources Profile

Launched January 9, 2010
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

MBA HEC Paris - Human Resources Profile

by LBC22 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:07 pm
Hello,

I am aiming at getting admitted to HEC Paris' MBA.
Could you please help me reviewing my profile?

26, Woman, Peruvian.
Bachelor in Communications. Graduated in the top 10%. Was member of the student representative council.
Hold an International diploma in Human Resources Management. Graduated 1rst place.
Have 4 years of work experience, mainly on Human Resources at IBM. Got a 2014 recognition for "improvement initiatives".

Highlights of extracurricular activities:
Singer in a Jazz Orchestra back in 2004.
Participated two years in work and travel programs in the US.
Member of the 2011 IBM Social Responsibility group.

I have just taken the GMAT and got 600. Q-40, V-33, IR-2 (Made the terrible mistake of not paying attention to this section)

I am worried that my GMAT score will keep me from getting in. I know I can get a better score but on the other hand I am worried about the timing of my application. As an international student looking to secure a scholarship and housing on Campus I believe I should apply as soon as possible (Last three rounds are on September 1rst, October 1rst, November 1rst).

Should I apply now or wait to take the GMAT again? How attractive is my profile, admissions-wise?

Thank You.

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:68 members
GMAT Score:750

by Bryant@VeritasPrep » Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:35 am
European b-schools are not as worried about the GMAT, but they like to see 650. so you won't need a 700+ like you might like to get for US schools, but it would increase your chances dramatically if you can get a 650. I would postpone one round but only if I thought I could achieve this. As a female, you will have a bit of an advantage, so if you think the 650 is not achievable, you should just go ahead with the 600 and emphasize your top academic achievements as well as any quantitative components of your job responsibilities as a way to balance things out. You can also pursue an alternative transcript by taking courses in statistics, for example, between now and matriculation. This shows genuine interest and can also help counterbalance a lower GMAT score.
Bryant Michaels

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options

by Bryant@VeritasPrep » Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:36 am
European b-schools are not as worried about the GMAT, but they like to see 650. so you won't need a 700+ like you might like to get for US schools, but it would increase your chances dramatically if you can get a 650. I would postpone one round but only if I thought I could achieve this. As a female, you will have a bit of an advantage, so if you think the 650 is not achievable, you should just go ahead with the 600 and emphasize your top academic achievements as well as any quantitative components of your job responsibilities as a way to balance things out. You can also pursue an alternative transcript by taking courses in statistics, for example, between now and matriculation. This shows genuine interest and can also help counterbalance a lower GMAT score.
Bryant Michaels

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options

by Bryant@VeritasPrep » Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:14 am
Bryant Michaels

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:13 members

by Dan@VinciaPrep » Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:58 am
Since this is a topic that comes up a fair amount, I thought that responding would hopefully help someone even though the post is a bit old. Upon reading the post a couple things came to mind.

1) Having four years of work experience is good, and around the average, but doesn't really say much in the end. What matters is the impact that you have in your work place and community. Thus, even with what you've stated, it's hard to say how attractive your profile is because we don't really know enough about your accomplishments.

2) In the seven years that I've been helping students get into top schools, I've never seen someone get a scholarship and have a 600 on the GMAT. In fact, just the chances of getting into a top school go down drastically if you don't have at least a 650. Even though there really isn't much of a difference between someone who scores a 640 and a 650 in terms of ability, there is a big difference in the acceptance rate.

3) In this situation, it would almost surely be best to re-take the GMAT. Furthermore, the GMAT usually only keeps you out of a school. The essays, CV, and recommendations get you in. Thus, it is important to spend enough time effort on these areas as well. Many students focus so much on the GMAT that they don't leave enough time for the rest of the application.
If my post helped you- let me know by pushing the thanks button ;)

I'm a private tutor in Paris, I provide online and in person consulting for the GMAT and MBA application essays.
GMAT tutor paris
Prepa GMAT

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:13 members

by Dan@VinciaPrep » Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:58 am
Since this is a topic that comes up a fair amount, I thought that responding would hopefully help someone even though the post is a bit old. Upon reading your statements a couple things came to mind.

1) Having four years of work experience is good, and around the average, but doesn't really say much in the end. What matters is the impact that you have in your work place and community. Thus, even with what you've stated, it's hard to say how attractive your profile is because we don't really know enough about your accomplishments.

2) In the seven years that I've been helping students get into top schools, I've never seen someone get a scholarship and have a 600 on the GMAT. In fact, just the chances of getting into a top school go down drastically if you don't have at least a 650. Even though there really isn't much of a difference between someone who scores a 640 and a 650 in terms of ability, there is a big difference in the acceptance rate.

3) In this situation, it would almost surely be best to re-take the GMAT. Furthermore, the GMAT usually only keeps you out of a school. The essays, CV, and recommendations get you in. Thus, it is important to spend enough time effort on these areas as well. Many students focus so much on the GMAT that they don't leave enough time for the rest of the application.
If my post helped you- let me know by pushing the thanks button ;)

I'm a private tutor in Paris, I provide online and in person consulting for the GMAT and MBA application essays.
GMAT tutor paris
Prepa GMAT