B-School dreams with low GPA

Let's talk about...whatever!
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

B-School dreams with low GPA

by Iheartgeorgia » Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:08 pm
Hello all,

Before I begin I realize I am at the bottom on the totem when it comes to an esteemed background, but I am looking for advice on how to overcome this. I graduated from a state school with a low gpa (2.3) which I must point out was due to my immaturity. I know my low performance in Ugrad will not get me admitted to a top 10 program but we all must pay for past mistakes, right.

I plan on taking some extra classes but I do not know what's the better option. NYU Continuing Studies has some good courses but with my background will admissions see my excelling in these classes as proof I can handle grad school, even with all A's? I applied to a few post bacc and pre MBA programs but I do not have access to private student loans, so there is no way I could attend. Are there any other programs similar to NYU's that has an extensive course list, a decent program, and not located in a city such as NYC?

I was admitted into Villanova's post bacc program and was told I had federal financial aid. When I drove to Philadelphia I was informed that I had been misled. So now I'm scrambling to find a way to get past this obstacle and I have limited options but I just want to make the best decision. Round 2 is not far away and I at least wanted to get four courses on my list before I applied. Do anyone have any further suggestions?

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:7 members

by Michael@VeritasPrep » Sat Nov 14, 2015 5:54 pm
Yep, you are certainly at a disadvantage here. I don't know how much money I would spend on continuing studies, they won't be a good replacement for your undergraduate grades. The best thing you can do at this point is really kill it on the GMAT, have great work experiences and write awesome essays. Also, be realistic with your school selection.