sentence correction

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

sentence correction

by ash4gmat » Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:08 am
HI, got this one right but if last option(option 'e') would have been without the word "later" then would it have been the right choice?
Q)In her 1851 magazine series, later becoming the famous novel Uncle Tom's Cabin, Harriet Beecher Stowe sought to portray the impact of slavery and further the abolitionist cause.

a)later becoming the famous novel Uncle Tom's Cabin, Harriet Beecher Stowe sought to portray the impact of slavery and further the abolitionist cause

b)which would later become the famous novel Uncle Tom's cabin, Harriet Beecher Stowe's mission was to portray the impact of slavery further, and the abolitionist cause

c)which would later become the famous novel Uncle Tom's Cabin, Harriet Beecher Stowe sought to portray the impact of slavery and further the abolitionist cause

d)later becoming the famous novel Uncle Tom's Cabin, Harriet Beecher Stowe's mission was to portray the impact of slavery, furthering the abolitionist cause

e)which had later become the famous novel Uncle Tom's Cabin, Harriet Beecher Stowe sought to portray the impact of slavery and further the abolitionist cause

MBA Admissions Consultant

by stevekeating » Fri Nov 13, 2015 1:00 pm
No, even without the word "later" option E would still be wrong. The past perfect is simply the wrong tense. What is needed here is the word "would" to indicate a tense that can be thought of as the future in the past. You are looking back to a point in the past (1851), and saying that at some point after 1851 something else would happen (the novel would become famous). Another example of this usage is: When I was in high school, I knew I would become a teacher.