Students

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

Students

by jain2016 » Mon Nov 02, 2015 7:10 am
The student who is always the first to arrive for the class and who always brings his laptop along with them.

Hi Experts ,

I am not able to find out the anything wrong in the above sentence. Can you please share your thoughts on this.

Your replies will be really appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

SJ.

Legendary Member
Followed by:128 members
GMAT Score:770

by DavidG@VeritasPrep » Mon Nov 02, 2015 7:26 am
jain2016 wrote:The student who is always the first to arrive for the class and who always brings his laptop along with them.

Hi Experts ,

I am not able to find out the anything wrong in the above sentence. Can you please share your thoughts on this.

Your replies will be really appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

SJ.
Consider the following sentence: The student who is always the first to arrive for the class does well on the exams.

The component in red serves as a modifier for the the subject of the sentence, "the student." The main verb is "does." If we remove the verb phrase, "does well on the exams," we no longer have a complete sentence, just a subject and a modifier: The student who is always the first to arrive for the class. This is not a complete sentence, as there is no main verb.

In the example you posted, The student who is always the first to arrive for the class and who always brings his laptop along with them, there is simply a subject followed by two modifying clauses (both in red.) Because there is no main verb, this is not a complete sentence.
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

by jain2016 » Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:09 pm
Consider the following sentence: The student who is always the first to arrive for the class does well on the exams.

The component in red serves as a modifier for the the subject of the sentence, "the student." The main verb is "does." If we remove the verb phrase, "does well on the exams," we no longer have a complete sentence, just a subject and a modifier: The student who is always the first to arrive for the class. This is not a complete sentence, as there is no main verb.

In the example you posted, The student who is always the first to arrive for the class and who always brings his laptop along with them, there is simply a subject followed by two modifying clauses (both in red.) Because there is no main verb, this is not a complete sentence.
Hi David ,

Thanks for your reply.

Just a quick question, if there is no main verb, then what is the role of IS in this sentence?

Also what I think is that both modifying clauses have verb ARRIVE AND BRINGS right? If no then please explain.

Please advise and correct me if got in a wrong way.

Thanks,

SJ

Legendary Member

by DavidG@VeritasPrep » Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:34 am
jain2016 wrote:

Hi David ,

Thanks for your reply.

Just a quick question, if there is no main verb, then what is the role of IS in this sentence?

Also what I think is that both modifying clauses have verb ARRIVE AND BRINGS right? If no then please explain.

Please advise and correct me if got in a wrong way.

Thanks,

SJ
"Is" functions as the verb for "who," which is the subject of the relative clause that serves as a modifier. That might sound more complicated than it is.

Take another example, Dave, who is a teacher, loves his job.
The main clause of that sentence is Dave loves his job. "Dave" is the subject, and "loves" is the main verb. "Who is a teacher" is a relative clause that modifies "Dave." So "Is" functions as the verb in the relative clause, which modifies "Dave." (But "is" does not serve as the verb of the main clause.)

Veritas Prep Reviews

by jain2016 » Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:56 pm
Hi David ,

Thanks for your reply.

Can you please also reply on my above doubt.

Thanks in advance.

SJ

Legendary Member

by DavidG@VeritasPrep » Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:44 am
It's true that "arrive" and "brings are both components of a relative clause in the above examples, but they're used somewhat differently. (Note: this discussion is a little more fine-grained than you actually need for the GMAT. The terminology is less important than the logic.)

Take this relative clause: who is always the first to arrive for the class "Is" functions as the verb of the clause. "To arrive" is an infinitive phrase modifying "first."

Whereas the other relative clause : who always brings his laptop, "brings" is the verb of the clause.

Veritas Prep Reviews