Proliferation of television

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:1 members

Proliferation of television

by sidchilling » Tue Nov 03, 2015 2:12 pm
Depending on one's point of view, the proliferation of the television is either a great advance in communication or an unmistakable sign that the decline in high culture begun before the war is still continuing.

A. Same
B. decline of high culture begun before the war is still continuing
C. decline of high culture that began before the war is continuing
D. decline in culture in high places that began before the war is continuing
E. declining culture in high places that began before the war still continues.

Source: Princeton Review
The OA is C.

If C is the right answer, doesn't the relative clause that the decline in high culture lack a verb? Can someone please explain what am I missing here?

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:247 members

by ceilidh.erickson » Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:08 pm
The dependent clause in C is "that the decline of high culture... is continuing."

I think perhaps you were connecting it to "the war is continuing"?
Ceilidh Erickson
EdM in Mind, Brain, and Education
Harvard Graduate School of Education

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:266 members
GMAT Score:770

by Jim@StratusPrep » Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:40 pm
the entire dependent clause includes 'that the decline of high culture that began before the war is continuing'

Ultimately you have to use a little logic and see that the relative clauses beginning with 'that' are connected.
GMAT Answers provides a world class adaptive learning platform.
-- Push button course navigation to simplify planning
-- Daily assignments to fit your exam timeline
-- Organized review that is tailored based on your abiility
-- 1,000s of unique GMAT questions
-- 100s of handwritten 'digital flip books' for OG questions
-- 100% Free Trial and less than $20 per month after.
-- Free GMAT Quantitative Review

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:365 members

by VivianKerr » Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:55 pm
sidchilling wrote:Depending on one's point of view, the proliferation of the television is either a great advance in communication or an unmistakable sign that the decline in high culture begun before the war is still continuing.

A. Same

The OA is C.

If C is the right answer, doesn't the relative clause that the decline in high culture lack a verb? Can someone please explain what am I missing here?
Hey Sid,

I think I get what you're asking. But, technically, there are TWO verbs in the relative clause (starting with "that": "began" and "is continuing."

This question is testing Verb Tenses. And we need to know the differences between "begun" and "began" in order to get it right!

The word "began" is used to express the past tense of the verb "to begin."

Past Tense
I began
you began
he began
we began
you began
they began

"Begun" is used in the "perfect" tenses:

Present Perfect
I have begun
you have begun
he has begun
we have begun
you have begun
they have begun

Past Perfect
I had begun
you had begun
he had begun
we had begun
you had begun
they had begun

The Present Perfect tense describes an event that STARTED in the past, but CONTINUES to the present.

The Past Perfect tense describes an event that occurred BEFORE a simple Past Tense event.

In this sentence, the only other verb in the relative clause is a simple present tense: "is continuing," so why is choice (A) using the past tense, "begun"? They are talking about a SPECIFIC point in time: when this "decline" BEGAN, so we don't need to use the past perfect tense. The meaning of the decline's continuation into the present is already taken care of by the 2nd verb, "is continuing"! :-)

Since we are describing an event that occurred before a simple present event, we only need a simple past tense verb: "began." No need to get all fancy with "perfect" tenses if the sentence doesn't REQUIRE one of them for the sake of clarity of meaning.

Here's another question that use this specific verb. Ask yourself what tense is "begun," and how it is used in each sentence to convey a certain meaning. You can Google for the solution. :-)

1) An effort to control the crippling poverty in Brazil's interior cities, begun almost 30 years ago, has been partially successful, despite the setback of a major draught and the interruption of aid during an extended economic crisis.

A. An effort to control the crippling poverty in Brazil's interior cities,
B. Begun almost 30 years ago for controlling the crippling effects of poverty in Brazil's interior cities,
C. Begun for controlling the crippling effects of poverty in Brazil's interior cities almost 30 years ago,
D. At controlling the crippling effects of poverty in Brazil's interior cities begun almost 30 years ago,
E. That has begun almost 30 years ago to control the crippling effects of poverty in Brazil's interior cities,

Hope this helps!

Best,
Vivian
Vivian Kerr
GMAT Rockstar, Tutor
https://www.GMATrockstar.com
https://www.yelp.com/biz/gmat-rockstar-los-angeles

Former Kaplan and Grockit instructor, freelance GMAT content creator, now offering affordable, effective, Skype-tutoring for the GMAT at $150/hr. Contact: [email protected]

Thank you for all the "thanks" and "follows"! :-)

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:365 members

by VivianKerr » Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:55 pm
sidchilling wrote:Depending on one's point of view, the proliferation of the television is either a great advance in communication or an unmistakable sign that the decline in high culture begun before the war is still continuing.

A. Same

The OA is C.

Hey Sid,

I think I get what you're asking. But, technically, there are TWO verbs in the relative clause (starting with "that": "began" and "is continuing."

This question is testing Verb Tenses. And we need to know the differences between "begun" and "began" in order to get it right!

The word "began" is used to express the past tense of the verb "to begin."

Past Tense
I began
you began
he began
we began
you began
they began

"Begun" is used in the "perfect" tenses:

Present Perfect
I have begun
you have begun
he has begun
we have begun
you have begun
they have begun

Past Perfect
I had begun
you had begun
he had begun
we had begun
you had begun
they had begun

The Present Perfect tense describes an event that STARTED in the past, but CONTINUES to the present.

The Past Perfect tense describes an event that occurred BEFORE a simple Past Tense event.

In this sentence, the only other verb in the relative clause is a simple present tense: "is continuing," so why is choice (A) using the past tense, "begun"? They are talking about a SPECIFIC point in time: when this "decline" BEGAN, so we don't need to use the past perfect tense. The meaning of the decline's continuation into the present is already taken care of by the 2nd verb, "is continuing"! :-)

Since we are describing an event that occurred before a simple present event, we only need a simple past tense verb: "began." No need to get all fancy with "perfect" tenses if the sentence doesn't REQUIRE one of them for the sake of clarity of meaning.

Here's another question that use this specific verb. Ask yourself what tense is "begun," and how it is used in each sentence to convey a certain meaning. You can Google for the solution. :-)

1) An effort to control the crippling poverty in Brazil's interior cities, begun almost 30 years ago, has been partially successful, despite the setback of a major draught and the interruption of aid during an extended economic crisis.

A. An effort to control the crippling poverty in Brazil's interior cities,
B. Begun almost 30 years ago for controlling the crippling effects of poverty in Brazil's interior cities,
C. Begun for controlling the crippling effects of poverty in Brazil's interior cities almost 30 years ago,
D. At controlling the crippling effects of poverty in Brazil's interior cities begun almost 30 years ago,
E. That has begun almost 30 years ago to control the crippling effects of poverty in Brazil's interior cities,

Hope this helps!

Best,
Vivian
Vivian Kerr
GMAT Rockstar, Tutor
https://www.GMATrockstar.com
https://www.yelp.com/biz/gmat-rockstar-los-angeles

Former Kaplan and Grockit instructor, freelance GMAT content creator, now offering affordable, effective, Skype-tutoring for the GMAT at $150/hr. Contact: [email protected]

Thank you for all the "thanks" and "follows"! :-)

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Fri Nov 06, 2015 5:51 am
sidchilling wrote:

OA: an unmistakeable sign that the decline of high culture that began before the war is continuing
Here, the that-clause in red serves as an adjective modifying the decline of high culture:
the decline of high culture that BEGAN before the war.
The verb for this that-clause is began.
If we omit the that-clause in red, we get:
an unmistakeable sign that the decline of high culture IS CONTINUING.
The verb for this that-clause is is continuing.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3