Resetting the GMAT Prep Tests

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

Resetting the GMAT Prep Tests

by ani781 » Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:53 am
Hi experts / friends,
I have exhausted the two free GMAT Official Prep Tests.
Can you please suggest approximately how many questions will be repeated after I 'Reset' the tests. (How big is the question pool really ?)

I have a tab by now on the incorrectly answered questions.

Thanks in advance !!

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:59 am
I don't think resetting the tests makes any difference. I think the question bank for each practice tests remains the same.

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by ani781 » Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:13 am
Hey Brent , thanks as always! "don't think resetting the tests makes any difference" , so you mean that resetting will not have "MUCH" impact on the score approximation ? So then , I can retake the two exams as if they were brand new ?

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:20 am
If by "resetting" you mean reinstalling the software, then the question bank for each test will remain unchanged. So if you've already taken each practice test several times, then you will still see tons of duplicate questions.

When you say that you have exhausted the two free GMAT Official Prep Tests, I'm assuming that you've taken each test more than once. Is that correct?
I ask because many students are under the impression that each test can be taken only once. To demystify this matter, I wrote an article about it: https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/2010/03/ ... iple-times
Basically, if you take a practice test a second time, you will see about 6 repeated questions per section (not bad)

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by mindful » Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:28 pm
Is there a way to see in one place the entire collection of questions on your GMATPrep test, regardless of the number of times you set or reset it?
I would like to reset it, but I am worried about losing access to the questions I have already attempted as part of the test. Kindly demystify this also.

by mindful » Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:28 pm
Is there a way to see in one place the entire collection of questions on your GMATPrep test, regardless of the number of times you set or reset it?
I would like to reset it, but I am worried about losing access to the questions I have already attempted as part of the test. Kindly demystify this also.

Legendary Member
Followed by:140 members
GMAT Score:800

by MartyMurray » Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:44 pm
Yes there are sets of those questions available. I don't have the links in front of me at the moment, but I guess if you search for them you can find them.

If you are having trouble finding them, send me an email and I will send you the files.
Marty Murray
Perfect Scoring Tutor With Over a Decade of Experience
MartyMurrayCoaching.com
Contact me at [email protected] for a free consultation.

by mindful » Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:26 am
Thanks, I see. I guess then I must go outside the software, on the net, to find those. There is no way to access every single question the software carries, on the software itself, after one has re-set a test or two? Except, perhaps, by installing it afresh...

Legendary Member
Followed by:140 members
GMAT Score:800

by MartyMurray » Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:57 am
mindful wrote:Thanks, I see. I guess then I must go outside the software, on the net, to find those. There is no way to access every single question the software carries, on the software itself, after one has re-set a test or two? Except, perhaps, by installing it afresh...
I don't believe reinstalling the software makes any difference. Questions that you have already seen can show up in tests taken after a reset.
Marty Murray
Perfect Scoring Tutor With Over a Decade of Experience
MartyMurrayCoaching.com
Contact me at [email protected] for a free consultation.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
GMAT Score:780

by ReasonGMAT » Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:34 pm
If you are afraid of losing the questions that you have already seen you could always screenshot the questions from the test after you are finished and save them for later review. This is actually what I do with the people I tutor online so that I can see all of the questions when I am tutoring them.

But I wouldn't go searching for all of the questions from the pool because then you will really never be able to take those exams again. There are so many other resources for official questions (the 3 OGs, Question Pack 1, etc.) that you shouldn't really need to tap into that question pools in order to dig out questions.

Either way, retaking on the current software is definitely going to yield repeats so you have to take the results with a grain of salt. If you decide to go that route (and hopefully you haven't seen all of the questions from the pool by searching around on the internet) then I would suggest that you try to be realistic when you see repeat questions so as not to ruin the whole experience. If the question would have taken you 3 minutes to solve then resolve it and if you are able to do that much faster then just wait it out for 3 minutes so that you don't skew the time management aspect of the test. And if you think that you would have gotten it wrong then spend the appropriate amount of time and just pick the wrong answer so that you don't skew the algorithm.
Reason Test Prep
GMAT Prep with a Focus on Reasoning and Critical Thinking
www.ReasonTestPrep.com