Question about switching jobs

Launched January 9, 2010
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

Question about switching jobs

by jaw5xs » Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:19 pm
I am currently work for a smaller commercial real estate firm as a financial analyst focused on Acquisitions & Asset Management of office buildings. I have been in this position for 2 years. My boss has left the company and now I report directly to one of the partners. Annual reviews are coming up and I wanted to negotiate my position/salary so I applied to some jobs as backups in case it didn't work out the way I wanted. I ended up getting a position as an Associate at Deloitte in their Real Estate Advisory Group. If I took the position at Deloitte, the position would start in the fall, a little before I applied to business school.

Would it look bad to switch jobs right as I'm applying or will a bigger name like Deloitte look better on my application?

Thanks for the help

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by Marcus@VeritasPrep » Fri Mar 20, 2015 4:54 pm
Do what makes sense for you personally long term. There is no guarantee you will get into b school. D might carry some brand value, but most important is to have sound logic explaining your career move.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by jaw5xs » Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:37 am
Thanks for the replies.

Quick question about getting a recommendation for a current supervisor. My boss who I have worked under for two years recently left the company and I have a new supervisor. My new boss has only been here a month while I worked for my old boss trained me and has taught me everything I know. Is that a good circumstance to get a letter of rec from a past supervisor instead of a current supervisor?

Also, another question. If I switch jobs before I apply and have only been at the new job for a few months, I probably would just get a recs from the job I am in now. Will that be ok?

Thanks a lot.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:7 members

by Michael@VeritasPrep » Sat Oct 24, 2015 2:36 pm
Yea, I think that is a circumstance where it makes good sense to get a letter of recommendation from a previous supervisor instead of your current. You might need to explain it in your optional essay, but that isn't a deal breaker by any means. I would avoid switching jobs right before going to school unless you have a really good reason to do so and tell your new employer your plans before they hire you.