subject-pronoun error

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:3 members
GMAT Score:650

subject-pronoun error

by akash singhal » Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:49 pm
Five hundred million different species of living creatures have appeared on Earth, nearly 99 percent of them vanishing.

A. Five hundred million different species of living creatures have appeared on Earth, nearly 99
percent of them vanishing.
B. Nearly 99 percent of five hundred million different species of living creatures that appeared on
Earth have vanished.
C. Vanished are nearly 99 percent of the five hundred million different species of living creatures
that appeared on Earth.
D. Of five hundred million different species of living creatures that have appeared on Earth, nearly
99 percent of them have vanished.
E. Of the five hundred million different species of living creatures that have appeared on Earth,
nearly 99 percent have vanished.

OE E
I got the right answer my doubt is just that in A is 'them' ambiguous?
I think it can point to 'species' and 'creatures'. Am I right? please explain.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:13 am
Five hundred million different species of living creatures have appeared on Earth, nearly 99 percent of them vanishing.

A. Five hundred million different species of living creatures have appeared on Earth, nearly 99 percent of them vanishing.

B. Nearly 99 percent of five hundred million different species of living creatures that appeared on Earth have vanished.

C. Vanished are nearly 99 percent of the five hundred million different species of living creatures that appeared on Earth.

D. Of five hundred million different species of living creatures that have appeared on Earth, nearly 99 percent of them have vanished.

E. Of the five hundred million different species of living creatures that have appeared on Earth, nearly 99 percent have vanished.
A: Different species have appeared, nearly 99 percent of them vanishing.
Here, the modifier in red implies that nearly 99 percent of the different species were VANISHING when they APPEARED -- a nonsensical meaning.
Eliminate A.

In B and C, appeared (past) implies that the species were NO LONGER ON EARTH when they vanished -- a nonsensical meaning.
Eliminate B and C.

In D, of five hundred different million species and of them are redundant.
Eliminate D.

The correct answer is E.
It seems clear in A that them is intended to refer to subject of the preceding clause (five hundred different million species).
That said, the OA avoids this issue by omitting them and thus is a better answer choice.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:3 members
GMAT Score:650

by akash singhal » Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:56 am
GMATGuruNY wrote:

A. Five hundred million different species of living creatures have appeared on Earth, nearly 99 percent of them vanishing.

B. Nearly 99 percent of five hundred million different species of living creatures that appeared on Earth have vanished.

C. Vanished are nearly 99 percent of the five hundred million different species of living creatures that appeared on Earth.

D. Of five hundred million different species of living creatures that have appeared on Earth, nearly 99 percent of them have vanished.

E. Of the five hundred million different species of living creatures that have appeared on Earth, nearly 99 percent have vanished.
A: Different species have appeared, nearly 99 percent of them vanishing.
Here, the modifier in red implies that nearly 99 percent of the different species were VANISHING when they APPEARED -- a nonsensical meaning.
Eliminate A.

In B and C, appeared (past) implies that the species were NO LONGER ON EARTH when they vanished -- a nonsensical meaning.
Eliminate B and C.

In D, of five hundred different million species and of them are redundant.
Eliminate D.

The correct answer is E.
It seems clear in A that them is intended to refer to subject of the preceding clause (five hundred different million species).
That said, the OA avoids this issue by omitting them and thus is a better answer choice.
I meant that can pronoun have their antecedent in "prepositional phrases","additive phrases" or other non-restrictive clauses.
I always confuse in such pronoun-antecedent errors. Can you explain with some examples?

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Sat Oct 17, 2015 2:37 am
akash singhal wrote:
GMATGuruNY wrote:

I meant that can pronoun have their antecedent in "prepositional phrases","additive phrases" or other non-restrictive clauses.
I always confuse in such pronoun-antecedent errors. Can you explain with some examples?
Answer choice A:
An OA from GMAC:
An overwhelming proportion of women work, many of them in middle management.
These two answer choices employ a similar structure, as illustrated by the portions in red.
Since the usage of them is considered unambiguous in the OA, we should deem its usage unambiguous in answer choice A.

When evaluating a pronoun for ambiguity, we must rely not only on structure but also on context.
In answer choice A, context makes it clear that them is intended to refer to five hundred million different species.

You are correct that a pronoun can serve to refer to the object of a preposition.
For examples, please revisit my posts here:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/parallel-str ... 83199.html
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3