GMAT prep

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

GMAT prep

by Neilsheth2 » Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:21 am
Australian embryologists have found evidence that suggests that the elephant is descended from an aquatic animal, and its trunk originally evolved as a kind of snorkel.
A. that suggests that the elephant is descended from an aquatic animal, and its trunk originally evolved
B. that has suggested the elephant descended from an aquatic animal, its trunk originally evolving
C. suggesting that the elephant had descended from an aquatic animal with its trunk originally evolving
D. to suggest that the elephant has descended from an aquatic animal and its trunk originally evolved
E. to suggest that the elephant is descended from an aquatic animal and that its trunk originally evolved
OA E

My reasoning-
Split 1-Is vs Has vs Had Descended- Over here the had is absolutely wrong since First the elephant descended and then its trunk got evolved that is a wrong meaning so C out.
Split 2-Has descended - The elephant is no more descending, Is descended - The elephant is descended..(showing a fact) so we can't rule out both.
Split 3 -The its is referring back to animals in A,B,C,D and not to elephant which should be the intended antecedent.

Kindly help me whether my reasoning is correct or not especially with SPLIT 3
Experts pls help!!!

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:266 members
GMAT Score:770

by Jim@StratusPrep » Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:16 am
Your logic is good, just try to get a bit smoother in decision making. First eliminate b, c, and d because of the usage of descended. Then A because of 'its'.
GMAT Answers provides a world class adaptive learning platform.
-- Push button course navigation to simplify planning
-- Daily assignments to fit your exam timeline
-- Organized review that is tailored based on your abiility
-- 1,000s of unique GMAT questions
-- 100s of handwritten 'digital flip books' for OG questions
-- 100% Free Trial and less than $20 per month after.
-- Free GMAT Quantitative Review

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by thang » Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:13 pm
Neilsheth2 wrote:Australian embryologists have found evidence that suggests that the elephant is descended from an aquatic animal, and its trunk originally evolved as a kind of snorkel.
A. that suggests that the elephant is descended from an aquatic animal, and its trunk originally evolved
B. that has suggested the elephant descended from an aquatic animal, its trunk originally evolving
C. suggesting that the elephant had descended from an aquatic animal with its trunk originally evolving
D. to suggest that the elephant has descended from an aquatic animal and its trunk originally evolved
E. to suggest that the elephant is descended from an aquatic animal and that its trunk originally evolved
OA E

My reasoning-
Split 1-Is vs Has vs Had Descended- Over here the had is absolutely wrong since First the elephant descended and then its trunk got evolved that is a wrong meaning so C out.
Split 2-Has descended - The elephant is no more descending, Is descended - The elephant is descended..(showing a fact) so we can't rule out both.
Split 3 -The its is referring back to animals in A,B,C,D and not to elephant which should be the intended antecedent.

Kindly help me whether my reasoning is correct or not especially with SPLIT 3
Experts pls help!!!
THIS is a hard problem.
be descended is an idiom. honestly we , non native can not remember this idiom in the test room because it is hard to do so. even I do this problem many time , I can not remember this idiom,

we can solve this problem using basic meaning analysis.

in A,
and its truck involved" is paralel to previous main clause" embryologist have founded" . this is not logic
"its" in choice B and C is not clear. grammatical structure makes "its" in choice B and D in correct
in C, problem is similar to one in A.

E is best .
looking for the girl living in Bradford UK, visiting Halong bay, Vietnam on 26- 27 Jan 2014. all persons, pls, forward this message to all persons you know to help me find her: my email: [email protected], call: 84904812758