Different percentile score for same scaled score?

Post your questions about customer service issues, GMAT exam policies, and GMAT exam structure. Get an official answer from GMAC, the organization behind the GMAT test!
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hi, I was just wondering if it is possible for two people with the same scaled score to get a different percentile score? For example, is it possible for a quant score of 50 to be in the 87th and 92nd percentile? Or are all Q50 scores given the same percentile?

Legendary Member
Followed by:24 members

by GMATinsight » Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:37 am
puravshah1234 wrote:Hi, I was just wondering if it is possible for two people with the same scaled score to get a different percentile score? For example, is it possible for a quant score of 50 to be in the 87th and 92nd percentile? Or are all Q50 scores given the same percentile?
If you compare the same scaled score in a gap of about 1-2 years than it's possible because the data of performers keeps changing and it may change substantially over a period of 1 to 2 years,

But if you take two test recently then such a change in percentile is impossible.
"GMATinsight"Bhoopendra Singh & Sushma Jha
Most Comprehensive and Affordable Video Course 2000+ CONCEPT Videos and Video Solutions
Whatsapp/Mobile: +91-9999687183 l [email protected]
Contact for One-on-One FREE ONLINE DEMO Class Call/e-mail
Most Efficient and affordable One-On-One Private tutoring fee - US$40-50 per hour

Legendary Member
Followed by:128 members
GMAT Score:770

by DavidG@VeritasPrep » Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:05 am
puravshah1234 wrote:Hi, I was just wondering if it is possible for two people with the same scaled score to get a different percentile score? For example, is it possible for a quant score of 50 to be in the 87th and 92nd percentile? Or are all Q50 scores given the same percentile?
See here for GMAC's explanation: https://www.mba.com/us/the-gmat-exam/gma ... -mean.aspx
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course