Experts assistance required

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:3 members
GMAT Score:650

Experts assistance required

by akash singhal » Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:36 pm
In the major cities of industrialized countries at the end of the nineteenth century, important public places such as theaters, restaurants, shops, and banks had installed electric lighting, but electricity was in less than one percent of homes, where lighting was still provided mainly by candles or gas.

(A) electricity was in less than one percent of homes, where lighting was still
(B) electricity was in less than one percent of homes and lighting still
(C) there were less than one percent of homes with electricity, where lighting was still being
(D) there was less than one percent of homes that had electricity, having lighting that was still
(E) less than one percent of homes had electricity, where lighting had still been

OEA
Got no clue please explain elimination in detail.
If you could also predict the level of problem it is.. it would be a great help..

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:06 am
akash singhal wrote:In the major cities of industrialized countries at the end of the nineteenth century, important public places such as theaters, restaurants, shops, and banks had installed electric lighting, but electricity was in less than one percent of homes, where lighting was still provided mainly by candles or gas.

(A) electricity was in less than one percent of homes, where lighting was still
(B) electricity was in less than one percent of homes and lighting still
(C) there were less than one percent of homes with electricity, where lighting was still being
(D) there was less than one percent of homes that had electricity, having lighting that was still
(E) less than one percent of homes had electricity, where lighting had still been
A conjunction such as and must serve to connect PARALLEL FORMS.
B: electricity was...and lighting still provided mainly by candles
Here, the portions in red are not parallel forms.
electricity was = subject + verb.
lighting still provided mainly by candles = noun + modifier.
Eliminate B.

COMMA + where must be immediately preceded by a PHYSICAL PLACE.
C and E: electricity, where
Here, where seems to refer to electricity, which is not a physical place.
Eliminate C and E.

COMMA + VERBing serves to express an action that happens CONCURRENTLY WITH or AS A RESULT OF the nearest preceding action.
D: homes that had electricity, having lighting that was still provided mainly by candles
Here, COMMA + having implies that homes were HAVING lighting provided mainly by candles at the same time as they HAD electricity.
These meanings contradict each other.
Eliminate D.

The correct answer is A.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3