THAT rule confusion

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

THAT rule confusion

by Neilsheth2 » Wed Sep 30, 2015 6:19 pm
Can we use a comma before the word THAT?Agreed It is used as an Essential Modifier but
I have seen many times on the forum people have rejected the option on the basis COMMA+THAT

experts kindly clear this confusion.

Legendary Member
Followed by:140 members
GMAT Score:800

Comma Before "That"

by MartyMurray » Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:04 pm
In circumstances in which the word that is used to begin an essential modifier and in which there is no unusual reason to use a comma before the word that, there is no good reason to put a comma before the that.

At the same time, making a habit of ruling out answer choices merely because they contain commas before the word that is not the way to go, as there are situations in which placing a comma before that is appropriate.

Here's one.

He believed, without having any real reason for doing so, that his dog would return shortly.

In that sentence, the presence of a parenthetical phrase before that means that placing a comma before that totally makes sense.

Here's an example of a comma appropriately placed before a restrictive modifier.

The car, a jalopy, that ran over my pizza was later found in Tom's driveway.

Here's another example of an appropriate comma before that.

His conclusion, that he would succeed in building a flying car, was the basis for his decision to quit his day job.

Once again commas set off part of the sentence, and, of all things, that part begins with that.

Gee, there's even a comma between things and that in my explanation.

So there are situations in which it makes sense to put a comma before that, and so, as is usually the case, blindly following a rule is not the way to GMAT SC success. That this is the case makes sense, because the GMAT is an entrance exam for business school, and blindly following rules is not a skill required for business school success. Rather, doing well in GMAT SC, in business school, and in business itself, requires using nuanced approaches involving observing and analyzing what is going on in situations and evaluating the effectiveness of how things are being done.
Marty Murray
Perfect Scoring Tutor With Over a Decade of Experience
MartyMurrayCoaching.com
Contact me at [email protected] for a free consultation.

by Neilsheth2 » Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:18 pm
Great Clarification Marty

Application of your teaching
Now applying the same concept the use of THAT here in this sentence is perfectly okay correct since :-Such as Delaware is a parenthetical phrase. Kindly correct me if I am wrong.

"Our system of Presidential elections favors STATES, such as Delaware, that by population are over-represented in the Electoral College."
Last edited by Neilsheth2 on Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Legendary Member

by MartyMurray » Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:23 pm
Neilsheth2 wrote:Now applying the same concept the use of THAT here in this sentence is perfectly okay correct since :-Such as Delaware is a parenthetical phrase. Kindly correct me if I am wrong.

"Our system of Presidential elections favors STATES, such as Delaware, that by population are over-represented in the Electoral College."
Perfect.
Marty Murray
MartyMurrayCoaching.com

by Neilsheth2 » Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:29 pm
I just have one question
In the Sentence:-His conclusion, that he would succeed in building a flying car, was the basis for his decision to quit his day job.
Here why is a Comma+that Required? Since It may be more clear to write His conclusion that.... What would be the authors intent to put commas here?
If the Author finds Comma+THAT a non essential Modifier the use of Which wouldn't sound correct?

Legendary Member

by MartyMurray » Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:55 pm
Neilsheth2 wrote:I just have one question
In the Sentence:-His conclusion, that he would succeed in building a flying car, was the basis for his decision to quit his day job.
Here why is a Comma+that Required? Since It may be more clear to write His conclusion that.... What would be the authors intent to put commas here?
If the Author finds Comma+THAT a non essential Modifier the use of Which wouldn't sound correct?
Look again.

that he would build a flying car is not an essential modifier. It is a noun clause that is used as an appositive, which is placed in a way similar to the way the appositive is placed in the following sentence.

His dog, a big brown one, was the subject of his painting.
Marty Murray
MartyMurrayCoaching.com

by Neilsheth2 » Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:02 pm
This Again shows how important it is to know the meaning of the sentence!

Thank you again Marty.