Career Guidance and Advice : MBA or no MBA after 7.5 years

Launched September 22, 2008
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:1 members
Hi Experts,
First of all I apologise if this is not the right forum for this query. Please do redirect if I am absolutely wrong in putting my question here.

A brief profile:

Indian/Male/30/Software Engineer/ Married

I am working as a Test Developer(QA Engineer) for US Based Fortune 500 Company from last 7.5 years in Bangalore, India.
I have had 4 promotions (From MTS->SMTS->PL->PMTS). I have worked in majority as an Individual Contributor role, coding and testing. But I have also worked on mentoring new joiners to team, providing OJT to each of them. I have been chosen for many critical deliverables/projects based on my success rate in delivering great quality and understanding , implementation in quick time.

I have also head the Work Life Balance group at my compnay. Lead various events conducted under the banner.

Apart from work, I have good interest in capital markets. I have completed diploma course in Stock markets and was till recent time very active participant/investor in capital market.I enjoy travelling a lot, exploring new possibilities is my favourite passtime.

Now my dilemma/query:

1. I am not getting job satisfaction in current company. It is because of the same monotonous work, not getting good salary as per market among other factors.
2. I want to explore my dream of starting my own venture rather than working for some one else.
3. I want to pursue my higher education to take me to the next level of career.
4. I want to switch domain and not work in technology sector( basically not in engineering team).

Given my age, experience how valid are my dilemma. Should I take the plunge of jumping into MBA to get post graduate degree.? Should I jump into entrepreneurship and jump out of job circle?

I really need help/advice on what steps to take next.

Appreciate any advice/comments to sort out the situation.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:11 members

by Alexbr@ClearAdmit » Sun Sep 27, 2015 11:17 pm
getting an MBA, before moving into your own venture, would probably make most sense. It would help provide you some important skills regarding running a business, as well as a potential network of collaborators, customers and investors, and so forth. The challenge will be seeking out an appropriate MBA degree. When you put your application together, focus on your vision for your business, and the steps you have taken to getting closer to developing your business. Make sure your work experience is seen in the light of progression and so forth. DO NOT simply articulate that you are no longer satisfied with what you are doing, and are using the MBA simply to exit your firm. cheers, alex
New Book! Becoming a Clear Admit: The Definitive Guide to MBA Admissions. https://www.clearadmit.com/products/admi ... dmissions/

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by gauravjha » Mon Sep 28, 2015 4:58 am
Alexbr@ClearAdmit wrote:getting an MBA, before moving into your own venture, would probably make most sense. It would help provide you some important skills regarding running a business, as well as a potential network of collaborators, customers and investors, and so forth. The challenge will be seeking out an appropriate MBA degree. When you put your application together, focus on your vision for your business, and the steps you have taken to getting closer to developing your business. Make sure your work experience is seen in the light of progression and so forth. DO NOT simply articulate that you are no longer satisfied with what you are doing, and are using the MBA simply to exit your firm. cheers, alex
Thanks a lot Alex for advice.

Considering my experience and age, I want to go for 1 year MBA course. With limited scope and coming from a super competitive IT pool, I want to know few points:

1. Will a high GMAT score be essentially required for my application to be considered?
2. Apart from work there are not much extra curricular activities or beyond the work activities which I am involved in. Will that going to hamper my application a lot?
3. Which schools should I target for? I prefer in APAC region, but am open to Europe and US
4. Should I switch jobs at this point before applying to B-schools?
5. How to pursue the application process including gmat exam and other aspects?
6. How should I be looking at funding my education?

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:11 members

by Alexbr@ClearAdmit » Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:03 pm
A strong GMAT would be helpful. There is not much you can do about other aspects of your application, other than develop as strong a story as you can. A I year program may make sense, especially if you are not interested in the recruiting resources. Unfortunately I don't have expertise in financing your degree (check the programs you apply) or programs in your area. In Europe, there are plenty of strong 1 year programs. cheers, Alex
New Book! Becoming a Clear Admit: The Definitive Guide to MBA Admissions. https://www.clearadmit.com/products/admi ... dmissions/