My GMAT Score-Pl Help

This forum is dedicated to our GMAT Avengers study group. Connect with fellow test takers and stay up-to-date with the latest Avengers' news. Experts are free to contribute in answering questions.
This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

My GMAT Score-Pl Help

by sandipgumtya » Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:44 pm
Yesterday was my official GMAT test day.I managed to score only 670.IR-4,Q-48,V-34.
I am really clueless,what should I do now.Though I expected a 700+ I only managed well below that.I don't know where I went wrong.
My qus-
Is this score good enough to land me at my dream school?
Should I retake the test?

Expert pl help me now.I am really hopeless.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Sat Sep 26, 2015 8:47 am
Hi sandipgumtya,

First off, a 670/Q48 is a solid score (it's above the 80th percentile overall), so it might be enough to get you into your first-choice Business School.

The rest of your post is rather vague though - you 'hint' at a number of different things, but you don't properly define any of them:

1) Why did you 'expect' to score 700+? How were you scoring on your practice CATs?
2) What is your 'dream School"? Which Schools are you planning to apply to? And when?

Until you better-define the above details (and anything else that may be relavent), there's no practical way to determine whether you should retake the GMAT or not.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

by sandipgumtya » Sat Sep 26, 2015 6:39 pm
Hi,
Rep:
1)I expected because I was scoring around 680-690 in GMAT Prep and aroud 720-730 in Kaplan tests.
2)My dream schools are top 5 IIMs in India.They have given prev years batch avg GMAT score 700+.Thats why i fear I might not get a call.
My query:
1)What are the chances of my score increase if I retake.
2)What changes should i make in my study schedule?

by sandipgumtya » Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:42 pm
Hi Experts,
Your reply is highly solicited.Pl help with your valuable feedback.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member

by [email protected] » Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:57 pm
Hi sandiptumtya,

GMAC has publicly stated that a Test Taker's Official Score is within +-30 points of actual ability. Assuming a similar 'swing' in how your CATs function, all of your scores (including your Official Score) are 'clustered' around 700. Your Official Score is at the lower end of the range.

Before we talk about how you might continue to study, I have a few questions about when you took your CATs:

1) Did you take the ENTIRE CAT each time (including the Essay and IR sections)?
2) Did you take them at home?
3) Did you take them at the same time of day as your Official GMAT?
4) Did you ever do ANYTHING during your CATs that you couldn't do on Test Day (pause the CAT, skip sections, take longer breaks, etc.)?
5) Did you ever take a CAT more than once?

Rich

by sandipgumtya » Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:17 pm
Rep:
1)I ahve taken the entire CAT each time.
2)Ya at home.
3)Ya @ around 8:00 AM.(Official test time-10:00 AM)
4)No such thing.Once/twice pause as loo break.
5)GMAT Prep:I have taken thrice each.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member

by [email protected] » Sun Sep 27, 2015 10:02 pm
Hi sandipgumtya,

This extra information is important - it points out how some of your practice CAT scores are NOT realistic. Test Day is a rather specific 'event', but if your practice deviates in any significant ways from what you'll face on Test Day, then the score results will likely be 'inflated.' By retaking CATs that you've already taken (and then taking them AGAIN), taking them at home and taking them at a different time of day (from your Official GMAT time), you were not properly preparing for the specific details of Test Day.

Thankfully, you're still in range of a 700+ score, but the little details matter (and you have to make your practice 'match up' with what you'll face on Test Day in as many ways as is reasonably possible). As you score at a higher level, the GMAT becomes really sensitive to silly/little mistakes. If you make too many of them, then a 700+ score becomes impossible to achieve.

Using your Official Score as reference, you have a greater potential to pick up points in the Verbal section, but there are still a few points that you could pick up in the Quant section.

Rich

by sandipgumtya » Sun Sep 27, 2015 10:23 pm
Hi Rich,
I didn't have any nervousness of shortage of time on test day.I don't know what went wrong.
What do you suggest?Should I retake the GMAT?

Legendary Member
Followed by:128 members
GMAT Score:770

by DavidG@VeritasPrep » Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:26 am
Hi Rich,
I didn't have any nervousness of shortage of time on test day.I don't know what went wrong.
What do you suggest?Should I retake the GMAT?
So long as the additional prep time doesn't interfere with your applications, why not give the test another shot? If you spend a little time on the forum, you'll see dozens of cases in which a test-taker retook the test and improved dramatically on the retake.

Have you worked through the Question and Exam Packs available on mba.com? If not, I'd certainly do so before the retake: https://www.mba.com/us/store/store-catal ... ction.aspx
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member

by [email protected] » Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:26 am
Hi sandipgumya,

Since your CAT scores were not completely accurate, you shouldn't think in terms of 'what went wrong' on Test Day. Instead, your focus should be on how you can be better prepared to face the full Test Day 'event.' You have to remember that the GMAT is really good at giving you the score that you EARN. To raise your scores, you have to make the necessary adjustments to how you 'see' (and respond to) the GMAT and earn those points.

Assuming that you want to retake the GMAT, then you have to define any 'weak spots' in your work and fix the little mistakes that occur. You will likely have to learn/practice some new tactics and invest in some new materials.

Rich

by sandipgumtya » Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:38 pm
The application deadline for most of my desired colleges end on last of October.So,its hardly one month lest.Whatcan I do in such a small time ?What changes should I focus on?

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member

by [email protected] » Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:50 pm
HI sandipgumtya,

Since time is so short, you really must be specific with the information that you offer.

1) When are the EXACT application deadlines for the Schools that you plan to apply to?
2) Have you completed any of your applications yet?
3) How much time do you think you have to study each week?

Rich

by sandipgumtya » Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:09 pm
Repl:
1)Appl deadline-31/10/2015
2)I am in the process of doing so.
3)As I am working,I can devote 2-3 hrs a day to study.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member

by [email protected] » Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:35 am
Hi sandipgumtya,

Based on your limited timeframe and Official GMAT score, you have a greater opportunity to pick up points in the Verbal section. As such, I think that you would find the EMPOWERgmat Verbal Score Booster to be quite helpful. Most of our Clients finish that Study Plan in under a month, so it would fit your schedule perfectly. During that time, you'll also be able to access any of the Quant resources that interest you.

If you have any additional questions, then feel free to contact me directly.

Rich