Tropical Bats

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Tropical Bats

by edn2015 » Fri Sep 25, 2015 3:29 pm
Tropical bats play important roles in the rain forest ecosystem, aiding in the dispersal of cashew, date and fig seeds; pollinating banana, breadfruit, and mango trees; and indirectly help produce tequila by pollinating agave plants.

A) pollinating banana, breadfruit, and mango trees; and indirectly help produce
B) pollinating banana, breadfruit, and mango trees; and indirectly helping to produce
C) pollinating banana, breadfruit, and mango trees; and they indirectly help to produce
D) they pollinate banana, breadfruit, and mango trees; and indirectly help producing
E) they pollinate banana, breadfruit, and mango trees; and indirectly helping the producing of

The correct answer is B - why don't the two clauses after the semicolons need a subject? I thought that any clause after a semicolon needed a subject to be an independent clause but that does not seem to be the case here.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Sat Sep 26, 2015 3:47 am
edn2015 wrote:why don't the two clauses after the semicolons need a subject? I thought that any clause after a semicolon needed a subject to be an independent clause but that does not seem to be the case here.
Here, bats are responsible for the following LIST of actions:
aiding in the dispersal of cashew, date, and fig seeds
pollinating banana, breadfruit, and mango trees

indirectly helping to produce tequila by pollinating agave plants.

The phrases in red are quite long and include COMMAS.
When entries in a list are especially long and/or include commas, SEMI-COLONS may serve to separate the entries.
The result here is the OA:
Tropical bats play important roles in the rain forest ecosystem, aiding in the dispersal of cashew, date, and fig seeds; pollinating banana, breadfruit, and mango trees; and indirectly helping to produce tequila by pollinating agave plants.
The usage of semi-colons makes it easier to discern where one entry in the list ends and another begins
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3