Tradition classes or business certificate? PLEASE HELP!

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
I'm planning on applying to business school next fall and one of the things I need to address before then is my low GPA. I've been doing a lot of research and it looks like I have two options. The first option would be to take a class or two in accounting, economics, or finance at a local school. The second would be to complete a business certificate program. Right now I'm considering UNC's-Kenan Flagler Business Essentials certificate program. I'm more inclined to choose that program over others for two reasons: it is about one fourth the price of other certificate programs and it is 100% online.

Below I will cover the pros and cons of both taking traditional classes and completing a certificate program as I see them.

Traditional classes
Pros
-Receive an actual grade
-Would increase my overall GPA (assuming I get A's)
-Shows ability to succeed in classroom environment
-Build business acumen
-Reinforce quant ability
Cons
-Cost > $3K if I take two or more courses (I don't think one course will cut it)
-Conflict with work (I travel frequently on short notice for work and could potentially miss classes)
-If the courses don't help and I don't get accepted to an MBA the benefit to my resume will be negligible
-Would be taking classes through local schools with very little prestige

UNC certificate
Pros
-Online (will be able to complete program even if I'm traveling)
-Cost $2500
-Prestige (through Kenan Flagler which is a well respected business school)
-Covers a wide variety of business concepts
-Will help my resume whether I end up going to business school or not
-May help in getting a promotion before applying for MBA which would in turn help that application
-Build business acumen
Cons
-Online (carries that online education stigma that we all know exists)
-Will not change my GPA (course is graded but you don't get credit other than the certificate)
-Doesn't show my ability to succeed in a classroom

At this moment I'm leaning towards the UNC certificate program, but I'd like to hear what anyone else thinks, especially admissions consultants. If you have any other pros or cons which I haven't thought of please let me know, as they will help me make a more informed decision.

Just a bit of background in case it may help
-B.S. Mechanical Engineering
-730 GMAT Q:68% V:98% (retaking because of imbalance)
-3.0 undergrad GPA
-applying to Tuck(dream school), Darden, and CMU-Tepper

Thank you

GMAT/MBA Expert

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by Dina@Fortuna » Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:38 am
Hello wcfennell. Based on what you've shared, one of the red flags that would likely come up (based on the MBA programs you're planning to apply to) is your undergrad GPA (which clearly you recognize as an issue based on your question). Admissions will want to see other evidence that specifically addresses your academic performance and taking a few relevant courses will be a great way to address this. I think it will be helpful to select courses where you can receive a grade which you can then submit along with your UG transcript. Hopefully you would do well in these courses which would address any glaring weaknesses of poor grades from your UG record. You can also look into UC Berkley Online Extension since they offer both online and in-person class options in business-related subjects. Your goal is to demonstrate that you can handle the academic rigor of the MBA program to which you will be applying, and to show that your undergrad grades are not reflective of your ability (which good grades in relevant courses will show). Taking classes that require grades is something I'd recommend. Also, re-taking the GMAT, which it sounds like you're doing, could also help if you go up on the quant.

Also, hopefully your recommenders can also address any areas that need to be addressed. Think about any kind of work you do that is analytical in nature to highlight in your application. While completing a business certificate program can be helpful to your current job situation, I don't think it will be as strong as taking coursework that assigns grades, specifically to address any poor grades as an UG. Good luck!
Dina Glasofer | Fortuna Admissions - a dream team of former Admissions Directors from the world's top business schools

Interested in a free 30-minute admissions consultation? Sign up on our website

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by wcfennell » Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:23 am
Thanks Dina! I wasn't aware of Berkley's Online Extension program, but after doing a little research it seems like it would be the perfect choice given my current situation.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:13 members

by manyaabroadtpr » Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:10 pm
Hi wcfennell,

First of all, a 3.0 GPA is not as low as you are considering it. You might not have top grades but a 3.0 score is not something which will stop you from getting an admit. An MBA application takes a very holistic approach while assessing the candidate and its not all about numbers, be it your GPA or GMAT. Things like career progression, goals alignment, initiatives, leadership potential will have much more impact in your application, so you need to shift your focus from GPA and GMAT from these aspects. Also, a high GMAT can always balance for a low GPA.

Coming to your question, the UNC program seems a more viable option looking at the pros and cons.Let us know if you require any further assistance.Wish you the best.
www.manyagroup.com

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by max_roper » Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:17 am
wcfennell

Can I suggest a third option for broadening your application and minimizing your GPA?

My suggestion is very much aligned with Dina Glasofer in regards to her suggestion: "Think about any kind of work you do that is analytical in nature to highlight in your application."

Also, my suggestion is aligned with manyaabroadtpr: "Things like career progression, goals alignment, initiatives, leadership potential will have much more impact in your application."

My suggestion is to participate in a volunteer / extracurricular activity that will build-upon your business leadership skill set.

The advantages of participating in such an activity are as follows:
- Build business acumen
- Refine quant ability
- Exposure to a wide variety of business concepts
- Will help your resume whether you end up going to business school or not
- May help in getting a promotion
- Prestige (depending on the type of service project you complete)

- - - -

Below are three national organizations you should consider for locating career-building volunteer opportunities in your area.

1) SCORE
2) Taproot Foundation
3) USA Leadership Corps

These organizations recruit, train, and match emerging professionals like yourself with small businesses and nonprofits in need of business planning or strategy assistance. You will gain a tremendous feeling of accomplishment as you help a struggling local small business.

Best of luck,

Maxwell Roper

Outreach Director
USA Leadership Corps (USALC)
www usaLeadershipCorps org

GMAT/MBA Expert

Legendary Member
Followed by:52 members

by CriticalSquareMBA » Wed Sep 23, 2015 5:31 am
Hey there,

We don't want to repeat some of the great advice in this thread so we'll say this. At a high level, classes trump certificates in terms of alternative transcripts 98% of the time. So if you're concerned about your GPA and want to showcase that you have what it takes academically, then you need to take the classes!

Here's a video featuring Bhavik on building an alternative transcript: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOn-l5dFjdQ

Good luck!
Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Facebook | Twitter

We love helping! Was this post helpful to you? Thank us and let me know!