Applying to BS with a 690 Q49/V35 score

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Applying to BS with a 690 Q49/V35 score

by BSMSUFL17 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:42 pm
I'm trying to figure out if I should apply to top business schools with a 690 (Q49/V35) score. I want to apply to Wharton, HBS, Stanford, MIT, NYU, and Darden. I have a degree in Mechanical Eng with and undergrad GPA of 3.50. I have 6 years of working experience.

What do you guys think?

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:5 members

by Dozie@VeritasPrep » Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:02 am
It's going to be tough sledding with most of the programs as GMAT scores have soared in recent years and are consistently around 720 now. it may be worth a re-take if you are dead set on applying to all of these schools. Otherwise focus on Darden/NYU for you best chance amongst your crop of schools
Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who's right for you. Meet our team!
Register for a free MBA Admissions Workshop!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:7 members

by Michael@VeritasPrep » Sat Sep 19, 2015 2:58 pm
Have to agree, definitely need to boost the GMAT. Are you scoring 690 without any instruction? If so, you could probably pick up 30 points by taking a class or getting a tutor. Not that I'm shilling for instructors, but the biggest thing I learned getting help were the tricks to solve problems more quickly. Imagine you could reduce the time to solve a problem from 120 to 90 seconds because of some shortcuts.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:7 members

by Michael@VeritasPrep » Sat Sep 19, 2015 2:58 pm
Have to agree, definitely need to boost the GMAT. Are you scoring 690 without any instruction? If so, you could probably pick up 30 points by taking a class or getting a tutor. Not that I'm shilling for instructors, but the biggest thing I learned getting help were the tricks to solve problems more quickly. Imagine you could reduce the time to solve a problem from 120 to 90 seconds because of some shortcuts.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Legendary Member
Followed by:52 members

by CriticalSquareMBA » Wed Sep 23, 2015 5:14 am
We'd have to agree and jump on the bandwagon here. A 690 COULD get you in but it's like the legs of a table. If any one leg is weak, the rest have to take the load and, if it's too weak, it'll buckle anyway. So with a 690, you'd need to bring something else impressive and surprising and different to the table. If you don't, then your chances are going to suffer. And most people can't, so that's something to keep in mind. Definitely retake that GMAT if you can!
Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Facebook | Twitter

We love helping! Was this post helpful to you? Thank us and let me know!