who's yo daddy

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

who's yo daddy

by garbanzob » Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:57 am
just opened up a royal can of whoopass on the gmat...750 - was expecting a better score but i'll take it...

i did not click next or confirm on the essays - just let the time run out - does anyone know if it will take the essays?

does anyone know?

thanks!

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by emrahercan » Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:07 am
I am afraid that your essays will not be scored. Hope I am wrong.
GMAT DELIGHT

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin
Followed by:994 members

by beatthegmat » Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:17 am
Actually, I believe your essays will be scored. They should accept whatever you wrote.

And by the way...congrats!
Beat The GMAT | The MBA Social Network
Community Management Team

Research Top GMAT Prep Courses:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-prep-courses

Research The World's Top MBA Programs:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/school

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
GMAT Score:750

by LSB » Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:33 am
shoot - I didn't confirm one of the essays either. Now I'm freaking out

whew

by garbanzob » Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:38 am
thanks eric - sure hope u're right.

debrief -

this forum helped immensely. i didn't have the patience to read any of the other threads except this beatthegmat one.

read OG for a month and tried a princeton test and scored a miserable
630. that's when i found this thread and read what people were
studying to kick gmat butt.

read the usual - CR bible, mgmat SC, my 9th and 10th math textbooks
cover to cover, and the additional OG books.

there was not a single question on probability for me...wasted too damn much time learning this. i didn't even come across any in gmatprep really...basic stats questions only. also a waste of time was the paper tests.

gmat prep i did 760 and 710 (2nd test at the end of a 10 hour study session to build stamina) - these were the most accurate.

started kaplan book but found it unrepresentative and quit it.

revised all the above books once but by that time i was burnt out. so moral of the story is to not overprepare - reach a peak and just do it.

math was tough even though it is my strong point. verbal was very easy.

timing was never an issue for me in practice but it was on test day for math...weird.

also practice with head phones. i can never think with them on but on test day i had EIGHT other candidates with me so i used the headphone. sure enough i couldn't think straight in them...maybe psychological...

had like 3 min 3 ques left in math and ran outa space in the scratch book but the damn proctor was checking someone else out so i knocked the window till she left what she was doing and came...

can't prepare for every eventuality so just do it and get it over with....

my profile - older candidate - indian IT - 10+ yrs - have wife and 2yr old son (detriment to study :) - working/commuting full-time

does anyone know a good forum similar to this one for the actual application process? after this one, i have become a fan of support groups - AA (applicants anonymous - har har har)

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
GMAT Score:750

by LSB » Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:40 am
I just called customer care. The person said that they will score whatever was on the screen at the time the 30 mins expired. I'm not really sure she knew what she was talking about though.

garbanzob - if you end up calling them as well ... would appreciate if you could post what they tell you.

cust svc

by garbanzob » Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:07 pm
called them and "sabrina" checked with someone for a long time and said we should be ok. think i'm fine with it now. eric also concurred above...

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

Re: who's yo daddy

by ajaypatil_am » Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:27 pm
I also did not click next or confirm on 1 essay but got essay score 5 so I think it takes whatever u right.

Don't worry

Thanks,
Ajay
garbanzob wrote:just opened up a royal can of whoopass on the gmat...750 - was expecting a better score but i'll take it...

i did not click next or confirm on the essays - just let the time run out - does anyone know if it will take the essays?

does anyone know?

thanks!

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by dilipbobby » Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:02 am
Hi ,garbanzob , i need advice from your as u mentioned tht for qunat use used 9th and 10th text books, r these bokks realy imp. for quant, as i already have OG quant,
secondly i took exam 15 days back and scored 37 in quant, can u please refer me how can i improve my quant score, and if u suggest for 9th or 10th book thne pleae guide me how should i study these books,

please reply urgently as i have to retook exam within 20 days or so

textbooks

by garbanzob » Fri Sep 05, 2008 6:44 am
hi dilipbobby

9th and 10th were useful for me because i am older and have forgotten all my math. i couldn't remember the basics even. going thru them was just a confidence booster for me though nothing came from there.

in your particular situation, i would NOT recommend u spend time on those texts right now because you have only 20 days for exam. plus u gave exam recently which means you already know the concepts of what u need to know.

where did u score poorly in math? what do u find difficult?

if i were you, i would concentrate on those things you found difficult (while trying not to ignore the other things :))

i bought the MGMAT number properties book for $20 and that helped A LOT. also bought the MGMAT inequalities book. see if u can pick these 2 books up if you do not already have them.

also don't get stuck in the trap of revising things you already know adn questions you have already seen. it makes new questions appear more difficult than they are on test day.

good luck!

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by dilipbobby » Fri Sep 05, 2008 6:58 am
K, BUT i can't say exactly where i stuck but some questions of problem solving and some DS I CAN'T pinpoint where do i lack exactly, yes u made a good point tht it no use of repeating all the things agaain, brushing will be enough for them, but does the bookd which u reffered means number propertie and Ds contained solved answers , and if i will buy it online it wil take too much time to gat delivered and i m in short of time, but i want to hot hard this time

guys.... pls pls let me know if its ok not to click next when the 30 mins for the session expires. i finished my gmat yest, ended with 680, and dont wanna know that my essays were submitted blank.

if anybody has any info, could you pls pass on the customer care no.

im a little freaked out now !!! :cry:

Legendary Member
Followed by:1 members

by aj5105 » Sat Sep 06, 2008 1:00 am
750 - awesome score!