Shark's jaw

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
GMAT Score:750

Shark's jaw

by pakaskwa » Sun Apr 05, 2009 1:24 pm
When an active tooth in the shark’s jaws is lost or worn down, many spare teeth lie in seemingly limitless reserve, each of which are ready to slide into the appropriate position.

A. When an active tooth in the shark’s jaws is lost or worn down, many spare teeth lie in seemingly limitless reserve, each of which are ready to slide into the appropriate position.
B. Whenever an active tooth is lost or worn down, many spare teeth lie in seemingly limitless reserve in the shark’s jaws, which are each ready to slide into the appropriate position.
C. Many spare teeth lie in seemingly limitless reserve in the shark’s jaws, each one of which are ready to slide into the appropriate position when an active tooth is lost or worn down.
D. The many spare teeth lying in seemingly limitless reserve in the shark’s jaws, each one of which is ready to slide into the appropriate position whenever an active tooth is lost or worn down.
E. In the shark’s jaws, many spare teeth lie in seemingly limitless reserve, each one ready to slide into the appropriate position whenever an active tooth is lost or worn down.

The OA is [spoiler]A, but I don't understand. A says "each of which are..." To me it's wrong...[/spoiler]

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by nasa » Sun Apr 05, 2009 1:55 pm
When the tooth falls, many spare teethe lie in X, each of which are ready to Y --- incomplete sentence. A cannot be the answer.

C option has a logical structure.

IMO C

GMAT Score:750

by pakaskwa » Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:12 pm
Shouldn't it be "each of which is..."? Since "each of ..." is single?

by nasa » Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:25 pm
you are formally right

by PAB2706 » Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:57 pm
can anyone pls tell me why E is wrong...

MBA Student
Followed by:17 members
GMAT Score:710

by gmat740 » Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:31 pm
Yes Even I thought E will be the answer.

The Shark is a subject and it is properly placed, what's wrong with E?

by Nailya » Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:34 pm
to me E seems the only good answer.

A. When an active tooth in the shark’s jaws is lost or worn down, many spare teeth lie in seemingly limitless reserve, each of which are ready to slide into the appropriate position. - does not make sense. It sounds as if many spare teeth lie in reserve WHEN an active tooth is lost. I believe the original meaning is: many spare teeth lie in reserve and when the active tooth is lost, each of spare teeth is ready to slide in the appropriate position. Plus, each if whcih are - is wrong.

B. Whenever an active tooth is lost or worn down, many spare teeth lie in seemingly limitless reserve in the shark’s jaws, which are each ready to slide into the appropriate position. - same problem. Additionally, "which are ready to slide..." seems modifying the shark's jaws instead of spare teeth.

C. Many spare teeth lie in seemingly limitless reserve in the shark’s jaws, each one of which are ready to slide into the appropriate position when an active tooth is lost or worn down. - each one of which modifies shark's jaws.

D. The many spare teeth lying in seemingly limitless reserve in the shark’s jaws, each one of which is ready to slide into the appropriate position whenever an active tooth is lost or worn down. - same mistake

E. In the shark’s jaws, many spare teeth lie in seemingly limitless reserve, each one ready to slide into the appropriate position whenever an active tooth is lost or worn down. - clear meaning, correct.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by Raison » Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:53 pm
E isn't great, but it's the best choice available.

by OGMATTERS » Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:41 pm
I vote for E

Even Ron confirmed it is E and he is always right.
Please use the underline and spoiler buttons when posting SC questions.

GMAT Score:690

by Ludacrispat26 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:09 pm
Similar discussion here:

https://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/sha ... t6220.html

The answer is E.
Don't stop believin'...

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by Titanp321 » Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:29 pm
Would someone mind refreshing my memory on the rules of the modifying sentence in (e), specifically the opening to the modifier: each one. I think one is a pronoun?

OK, well I did some digging before I hit post. This is what I came up with. The modifier is an absolute phrase.

each - adj modifying one
one - noun
ready - past participle
to.. - prep phrase modifier that is modifying ready

An absolute phrase consists of a noun+participle

An absolute phrase can modify an entire clause and does not have to be next to the subject.

Thoughts

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by akmba » Sat Sep 12, 2015 6:22 am
in the current version of GMATPrep Exam Pack 1 , the correct answer choice is E