Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

Profile Evaluation Request

by lukebowes1234 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:30 am
GMAT 730 (44Q 47V 8IR)
Undergrad GPA 3.8 Accounting
Passed all 3 levels of the CFA
Work: Small independent Investment Advisory firm in Knoxville, TN. 3 years full time at Matriculation. Also a couple of years as an intern/part-time at same firm while in school.
Undergrad Attended: Small regional liberal arts school. (nothing special)
British Citizen (currently work and live in US on visa)

Extra Curricular: Heavy involvement for 4 years (ending 2 years ago) with the private boarding high school I went to. They have a lot of international students so I helped out in the dorms, as well as being the assistant coach of the HS boys varsity team (all purely as volunteer). Also on a committee of a program, and a chair of another program at the Optimist Club of Knoxville.

My Story: I decided I wanted to live in the US when I was 14. So after finishing HS in England (which happens at age 16), I applied to and enrolled to a private boarding HS in the US. I moved here, on my own, when I was 16. Have since gone through college here and also worked here for a few years now on a work visa.

ST Goals: Investment Banking M&A
LT Goals: Private Equity and perhaps one day PhD and teach Finance when I'm retired from industry.

My 5 schools:

Fuqua
Darden
Johsnon
Ross
Kenan-Flagler

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:9 members

by MargaretStrother » Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:37 am
Hi Luke,
This looks great for the schools you're targeting! Top MBA programs will be attracted to your internationalism, your independence, and your excellent numbers. I'd love to see more community service, outside of your work with your former boarding school; ideally we'd like to see you in a leadership role in a known, impact-driven community service organization, leading teams that do important work in the area, as opposed to, say, one-on-one coaching or mentoring.

I assume you're thinking second round this year, or first round next year: in either case, invest as much time as possible in high-profile community leadership roles, to balance out your overall terrific profile with some hands-on impact. And don't forget to schedule official school visits to every school on your list, if you haven't already, while classes are in session. This will help you write those demanding "why our school" essays, build ties within the schools themselves, and might also expand (or contract) your b-school short list.

Good luck!
Margaret Strother
Margaret Strother
Senior Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by lukebowes1234 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:41 am
I am actually looking at first and second round apps this year. Is that foolish? Any other schools you would add to my list?

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:9 members

by MargaretStrother » Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:05 am
Hi Luke,
For most first-round applications, you're probably starting too late in the season to deliver the most effective application. It's your choice, of course; I'm just giving you my opinion based on my experience. You could definitely do second round, if you start now.

Any more specific advice than that is not really appropriate on this public board; your best best is to connect with a top consulting firm such as ours, and let their seasoned professionals weigh in on all of these issues with you one-on-one.

Margaret
Margaret Strother
Senior Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me