Sentence Correction book recommendation

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Sentence Correction book recommendation

by aces021 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:34 pm
I've been using the Manhattan GMAT Foundations of GMAT Verbal and the Manhattan GMAT SC book, but I'm looking to try a different source.

I guess I'm looking for a book for non native speakers? My fundamentals are a huge issue - I cannot identify subjects/verbs, main/subordinate clauses, nouns, verbs, adjectives etc. in convoluted sentences. I CAN identify them in very basic sentences. Ultimately, I think my biggest weakness is meaning and structure - If I know what the meaning of the sentence is vs. what the sentence is trying to say, then I'd be able to identify all of the above items I'm struggling with.

What book(s) can you recommend that specifically focus on meaning, structure, subject/verb, verbs etc.? It doesn't have to be a book specifically for the GMAT exam, it just needs to give a very solid foundation with lots of different and difficult examples.

Legendary Member
Followed by:128 members
GMAT Score:770

by DavidG@VeritasPrep » Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:13 am
Check out our Sentence Correction lesson: https://www.veritasprep.com/gmat/free-gmat-lesson/

(I would encourage you to use resources that are engineered specifically for the GMAT. Generic usage guides, though useful in life, will go into far more detail than you need for the test.)
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:22 am
Our free Sentence Correction module (with 70 videos) might be what you're looking for. It starts with the most basic of concepts and goes from there: https://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat- ... correction

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:46 members

by EducationAisle » Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:06 pm
aces021 wrote:I've been using the Manhattan GMAT Foundations of GMAT Verbal and the Manhattan GMAT SC book, but I'm looking to try a different source.

I guess I'm looking for a book for non native speakers? My fundamentals are a huge issue - I cannot identify subjects/verbs, main/subordinate clauses, nouns, verbs, adjectives etc. in convoluted sentences.
Hi! Our sentence correction book Sentence Correction Nirvana is perhaps the only book that offers a score improvement guarantee, and is especially designed for non-native speakers.

After reading the book twice (yes! it's an academic book, and so must be read twice in all seriousness, to reinforce the concepts), you will start looking forward to solving SC questions!

The book is available on Flipkart and Amazon.in. You might want to refer to these sites, to also read testimonials of how readers have benefited.

If you want to sample a chapter before deciding to go ahead with our book, please PM me know your mail-id (along with the chapter that you would like to sample) and I will be happy to send that chapter to you by mail.

Also, since you specifically mention Grammar fundamentals as an area of concern, you might want to go through the entire Grammar portion that is available for free preview (refer to the link in the signature), to give you an idea of how the book is organized.
Ashish
MBA - ISB, GMAT - 99th Percentile
GMAT Faculty @ EducationAisle
www.EducationAisle.com

Sentence Correction Nirvana available at:

a) Amazon: Sentence Correction Nirvana

b) Flipkart: Sentence Correction Nirvana

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi