GMAT PREP_Exam Pack I:Experts Please help !

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:3 members

GMAT PREP_Exam Pack I:Experts Please help !

by himu » Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:22 am
Please do not solve if u are planning to buy the new GMAT PREP_Exam Pack I (U may bulge your score)

[spoiler]
The most widely known images of Yosemite National Park are those made by photographer Ansel Adams, who photographed it continually from his teenage years on.

a) who photographed it continually from his teenage years on
b) who photographed it starting from his teenage years and then continually
c) who photographed it starting in his teenage years and continually from then on
d) having photographed it continually since his teenage years
e) having photographed it starting in his teenage years and then continually[/spoiler]

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:53 am
The most widely known images of Yosemite National Park are those made by photographer Ansel Adams, who photographed it continually from his teenage years on.

c) who photographed it starting in his teenage years and continually from then on
e) having photographed it starting in his teenage years and then continually
B: starting...and then continually
C: starting...and continually
A conjunction such as and must connect PARALLEL FORMS.
In B and C, starting (adjective) and continually (adverb) are not parallel forms.
Eliminate B and C.

A COMMA + VERBing modifier serves to express an action attributed to the SUBJECT OF THE PRECEDING CLAUSE.
In D and E, having photographed seems to refer to images -- the subject of the preceding clause -- implying that the IMAGES photographed Yosemite National Park.
Not the intended meaning.
Eliminate D and E.

The correct answer is A.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by asingh203 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:18 pm
You're impressive sir!
GMATGuruNY wrote:

e) having photographed it starting in his teenage years and then continually
B: starting...and then continually
In B and C, starting (adjective) and continually (adverb) are not parallel forms.
Eliminate B and C.

A COMMA + VERBing modifier serves to express an action attributed to the SUBJECT OF THE PRECEDING CLAUSE.
In D and E, having photographed seems to refer to images -- the subject of the preceding clause -- implying that the IMAGES photographed Yosemite National Park.
Not the intended meaning.
Eliminate D and E.

The correct answer is A.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by vidhyamurali » Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:59 pm
GMATGuruNY wrote: B: starting...and then continually
Eliminate B and C.
GMATGuruNY,
thanks for the detailed explanation. you're great! I have a few questions about the usage of the ING forms in B and C.

1) I would like to know if in choice B the phrase 'starting from his teenage years' can function as an ADVERB modifying 'photographed' had the choice been "who photographed it starting from his teenage years". Would this be correct?
From my understanding, an -ING form after a noun ('it' here) can only restrictively modify (defining modifier) the noun.
2) Also, my understanding is that the usage "who photographed it, starting from his teenage years" would be wrong as well because 'photographing' and 'starting from teenage years' are neither contemporaneous actions nor the second action is the result of the first.
Please confirm if my understanding is right.