Except for a concert performance that the composer himself

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members
Except for a concert performance that the composer himself staged in 1911, Scott Joplin's ragtime opera Treemonisha was not produced until 1972, sixty-one years after its completion.

(A) Except for a concert performance that the composer himself staged

(B) Except for a concert performance with the composer himself staging it

(C) Besides a concert performance being staged by the composer himself

(D) Excepting a concert performance that the composer himself staged

(E) With the exception of a concert performance with the staging done by the composer himself

OA: A

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by ddg » Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:38 am
RBBmba@2014 wrote:Except for a concert performance that the composer himself staged in 1911, Scott Joplin's ragtime opera Treemonisha was not produced until 1972, sixty-one years after its completion.

(E) With the exception of a concert performance with the staging done by the composer himself

OA: A
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(A) Except for a concert performance that the composer himself staged - This sentences is perfect as it is. Except for is the correct idion, 'that' refers back to the 'concert performance' and himself is in reflexive form correctly referring to the 'composer'

(B) Except for a concert performance with the composer himself staging it - usage of 'with'. Now many times, people get confused with 'WITH' ;-) . With is mostly used as a tool (mostly). Here, this sounds like the concert performed some action WITH (using) the composer......meaning gets changed.

(C) Besides a concert performance being staged by the composer himself - 'Besides' suggests another simultaneous action/event happening along with this one stated. But the next event happened after many many years.

(D) Excepting a concert performance that the composer himself staged - Excepting isn't the right usage here. Except will be a better usage.

(E) With the exception of a concert performance with the staging done by the composer himself - notice the wordiness here. With the exception....with the staging - the meaning gets lost in this elaborate sentence.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In times of stress, Fashion is always outrageous ;-)

If my explanation helped you, lemme know by clicking the 'thank' button! :) Cheers!

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Sat Aug 22, 2015 2:55 am
RBBmba@2014 wrote:Except for a concert performance that the composer himself staged in 1911, Scott Joplin's ragtime opera Treemonisha was not produced until 1972, sixty-one years after its completion.

Generally, a VERBing modifier serves to express CONCURRENT action: an action happening at the same time as the main verb.
Here, the main verb is was not produced.

In B, the usage of staging (VERBing modifier) seems to imply that the composer was STAGING a performance at the same time as the opera WAS NOT PRODUCED.
This sequence is nonsensical.
Eliminate B.

In C, the usage of being staged (VERBing modifier) seems to imply that a performance was BEING STAGED at the same time as the opera WAS NOT PRODUCED.
Eliminate C.

In E, the usage of with the staging done (VERBing modifier) seems to imply that the STAGING was done at the same time as the opera WAS NOT PRODUCED.
Eliminate E.

In D, excepting seems to refer to Scott Joplin's ragtime opera, implying that the OPERA was EXCEPTING a concert performance.
This meaning is nonsensical.
Eliminate D.

The correct answer is A.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3