Sanctions

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

Sanctions

by src_saurav » Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:59 am
The government ((has imposed sanctions and restricted foreign aid to a renegade nation last month after it violated the terms of a worldwide arms control treaty

A)the same
B)has imposed sanctions on and restricted foreign aid to a renegade nation last month after it violated

c)imposed sanctions on and restricted foreign aid to a renegade nation last month after that nation violated

d)imposed sanctions and restricted foreign aid to a renegade nation last month after violating

e)had imposed sanctions and restricted foreign aid to a renegade nation last month after it violated

My answer is D .. OA is C i rejected C because of on after sanctions.

Legendary Member
Followed by:140 members
GMAT Score:800

by MartyMurray » Sat Aug 15, 2015 7:11 pm
src_saurav wrote:My answer is D .. OA is C i rejected C because of on after sanctions.
The on after sanctions is necessary.

What if the sentence were only this?

The government imposed sanctions a renegade nation last month.

The government did two things.

It imposed sanctions on a renegade nation and it restricted foreign aid to that same nation.

Having said that, possibly one could argue that D is still somehow ok, because one could say that maybe it does not have to be clear that the sanctions were imposed on the renegade nation. Even then, D has another issue, in that the use of the word violating creates a sentence that conveys that the government itself violated the treaty.
Marty Murray
Perfect Scoring Tutor With Over a Decade of Experience
MartyMurrayCoaching.com
Contact me at [email protected] for a free consultation.