Need Help!

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Need Help!

by Vendi » Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:12 pm
I have my exam next Monday and am in a very bad shape. Have taken 5 practice tests till now, 4 from Kaplan and 1 official GMAT test.No matter what I do, my score is at an average 600. I have reviewed every question that I got wrong, and have answered all the questions in each test. Upon careful observation I see that my Math score is in the range 37-44, while my Verbal is ranging from 26-30 :( I have finished working out all the questions on Kaplan and OG, signed up for Magoosh and watched all their tutorials too. I am feeling lost and do not have hopes of getting a 700 score! My aim was a 720.
All kinds of suggestions/strategies are welcome!

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:266 members
GMAT Score:770

by Jim@StratusPrep » Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:58 am
First thing first, is there a reason that you have to take the exam on Monday? It doesn't seem like your goal is realistic in this time frame. One thing that I notice with students who do tons and tons of GMAT problems is that they do not spend adequate time studying the concepts nor do take the time to learn WHY they get problems wrong. Simply doing a bunch of problems will not necessarily improve your score. Are there consistent patterns in the question that you are getting wrong?
GMAT Answers provides a world class adaptive learning platform.
-- Push button course navigation to simplify planning
-- Daily assignments to fit your exam timeline
-- Organized review that is tailored based on your abiility
-- 1,000s of unique GMAT questions
-- 100s of handwritten 'digital flip books' for OG questions
-- 100% Free Trial and less than $20 per month after.
-- Free GMAT Quantitative Review

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:25 am
Hi Vendi,

You say you've reviewed every question you got wrong, but have you carefully analyzed your practice tests to identify any remaining area(s) of weakness?

While analyzing your practice tests, there are four main types of weakness to watch out for:
1. specific Quant skills/concepts (e.g., algebra, standard deviation, etc.)
2. specific Verbal skills/concepts (e.g., verb tenses, assumption CR questions, etc.)
3. test-taking skills (time management, endurance, anxiety etc.)
4. silly mistakes

For the first two weaknesses, the fix is pretty straightforward. Learn the concept/skill and find some practice questions to strengthen that weakness. To focus on one topic at a time, you can use BTG's tagging feature to isolate one concept. For example, here are all of the questions tagged as statistics questions: https://www.beatthegmat.com/forums/tags/ ... statistics
See the left side of that linked page for more tag options.

If your test-taking skills are holding you back, then you need to work on these. For example, we have a free GMAT time management video at https://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gener ... es?id=1244.

Finally, if silly mistakes are hurting your score, then it's important that you identify and categorize these mistakes so that, during tests, you can easily spot situations in which you're prone to making errors. I write about this and other strategies in the following article: https://www.gmatprepnow.com/articles/avo ... teaks-gmat

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:37 am
Hi Vendi,

Given your score goal and your impending Test Date, you're not likely to hit 720+ on August 17th (there's just no enough time to raise your score 100+ points in 5 days). Knowing that, and the fact that it's too late to pay the $50 rescheduling fee, you really have nothing to lose with this Test - so you should use your upcoming GMAT as a 'learning experience.' Do your best, note all of the 'details' that go into the Test Day 'event' and you can use that knowledge later to better prepare for your next attempt. Once you've taken the GMAT, you should post back here with your results and we can come up with a plan to help you improve.

I'd like to know a bit more about your studies so far:
1) How long have you been studying?
2) What materials have you been using?
3) What were your scores on each of your CATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for each)?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by Vendi » Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:34 pm
Hello All,

Thank you for your response, truly appreciate it.
Its been a long time since I gave my test, finally here is my result. Thought I should share it.
Towards the end of my practice tests, I started to get a 680 score. I went to write the exam and was sent back as the name with which I registered for the exam was not exactly identical to the name on my passport. Yes I was quite dejected.
I got the name changes done and booked the exam again after 6 days, and scored a 640.
44(Q)/33(V)/5(AWA)/6(IR)
I am content with the score and have planned on applying for the 2016 Fall program, in the US.

Thanks guys!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:49 am
Hi Vendi,

A 640 is a solid score (it's just shy of the 80th percentile overall), so it could very well be enough to get you into Business School.

1) Which Round are you planning to apply to Business School?
2) Do you know which School you plan to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]