Somber in tone and menacing in content,

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

Somber in tone and menacing in content,

by anksm22 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:26 am
Somber in tone and menacing in content, the leader of the terrorists who were holding the hostages sent a message leaving little hope that they would be released by the end of the week.

(A) leader of the terrorists who were holding the hostages sent a message leaving little hope that they would be
(B) leader of the terrorists holding the hostages sent a message that left little hope for their being
(C) leader of the terrorists holding the hostages sent a message leaving little hope of the hostages being
(D) message sent by the leader of the terrorists who were holding the hostages left little hope that the hostages would be
(E) message that was sent by the leader of the terrorists who were holding the hostages left little hope for the hostages to be

please explain D and E

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:34 am
anksm22 wrote:Somber in tone and menacing in content, the leader of the terrorists who were holding the hostages sent a message leaving little hope that they would be released by the end of the week.

(A) leader of the terrorists who were holding the hostages sent a message leaving little hope that they would be
(B) leader of the terrorists holding the hostages sent a message that left little hope for their being
(C) leader of the terrorists holding the hostages sent a message leaving little hope of the hostages being
(D) message sent by the leader of the terrorists who were holding the hostages left little hope that the hostages would be
(E) message that was sent by the leader of the terrorists who were holding the hostages left little hope for the hostages to be

please explain D and E
A, B and C: menacing in content, the leader...
Here, menacing in content seems to refer to the leader, implying that THE LEADER was MENACING IN CONTENT -- a nonsensical meaning.
The intended meaning is that the MESSAGE was menacing in content.
Eliminate A, B and C.

E: the message...left little hope for the hostages to be released by the end of the week
Here, the infinitive modifier in red implies that the hostages are TO BE RELEASED BY THE END OF THE WEEK.
The intended meaning is just the opposite: that the hostages would NOT be released by the end of the week.
Eliminate E.

The correct answer is D.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:266 members
GMAT Score:770

by Jim@StratusPrep » Mon Aug 10, 2015 6:30 am
First, A, B, and C can be eliminated because the leader cannot have content. An introductory clause always relates to the noun that immediately follows it.

There are a lot of reasons why D is better than E. I always try to quickly find differences at the beginning and end of the underline. At the end, you see 'would be' vs 'to be'. The reason you would use 'would be' is because there is no certainty that the hostages will be released. The 'hope' puts this in the subjunctive.
GMAT Answers provides a world class adaptive learning platform.
-- Push button course navigation to simplify planning
-- Daily assignments to fit your exam timeline
-- Organized review that is tailored based on your abiility
-- 1,000s of unique GMAT questions
-- 100s of handwritten 'digital flip books' for OG questions
-- 100% Free Trial and less than $20 per month after.
-- Free GMAT Quantitative Review