Profile Evaluation Request

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

Profile Evaluation Request

by lukebowes1234 » Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:21 am
Took the GMAT this morning and scored a 680 (42Q 40V), with an IR score of 8. I was aiming for 700+. I have scored 46Q is 3 mock exams so was disappointed by that especially. I am requesting an evaluation of my current profile, and recommendations going forward.

GMAT 680 (42Q 40V 8IR)
Undergrad GPA 3.8 Accounting
Passed all 3 levels of the CFA
Work: Small independent Investment Advisory firm in Knoxville, TN. 3 years full time at Matriculation. Also a couple of years as an intern/part-time at same firm while in school.
Undergrad Attended: Small regional liberal arts school. (nothing special)
British Citizen (currently work and live in US on visa)

Extra Curricular: Heavy involvement for 4 years (ending 2 years ago) with the private boarding high school I went to. They have a lot of international students so I helped out in the dorms, as well as being the assistant coach of the HS boys varsity team (all purely as volunteer). Also on a committee of a program, and a chair of another program at the Optimist Club of Knoxville.

My Story: I decided I wanted to live in the US when I was 14. So after finishing HS in England (which happens at age 16), I applied to and enrolled to a private boarding HS in the US. I moved here, on my own, when I was 16. Have since gone through college here and also worked here for a few years now on a work visa.

ST Goals: Investment Banking M&A
LT Goals: Private Equity and perhaps one day PhD and teach Finance when I'm retired from industry.

My 5 schools:

Fuqua
Darden
Johsnon
Ross
Kenan-Flagler

So here is my question, with my CURRENT GMAT score, and information provided, what do you think of my chances at these 5 schools, AND what other schools would you suggest???

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:9 members

by MargaretStrother » Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:59 pm
Hi Luke,
You've got a great amd rather unique personal history here, but that GMAT is a bit low for the top business schools on your list. You're also quite young, so while you could take a shot at some top MBA programs this year, you might invest another year in building up your professional profile while working to get that GMAT up over 700. Next year, you'll be an even stronger candidate, which would open up many more options for you.

Good luck!
Margaret Strother
Margaret Strother
Senior Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me

by lukebowes1234 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:16 am
Where could I apply this year that might help me reach my ST and LT goals?

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:9 members

by MargaretStrother » Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:15 pm
Hi Luke,
Look for schools where your GMAT is at or above the median (Bloomberg will have this information), and which also have strong hiring ties to the investment banking industry. Georgetown, for example, has a strong financial services reputation and average GMAT in the 685 range, so that would be a great place to start exploring. USC Marshall is another school with a similar profile. For both schools, you should start by visiting the campus and getting to know the students and the culture.

Margaret Strother
Margaret Strother
Senior Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me

by lukebowes1234 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:18 pm
Does USC have ties to jobs in NYC? Or are most placed on the west coast?