MBA profile eval

Launched June 18, 2009
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

MBA profile eval

by tom09 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:08 pm
I have following schools in mind:

stanford, chicago booth, columbia, mit and wharton.

By the time of matriculation, I will have 3 years of full time work experience working as engineer supporting manufacturing & operations in high tech (think apple, microsoft or google)

I hold bse in electrical engineering from top 10 engineering school and mse in computer engineering from top 5 with full ride. ugpa & gpa is 3.5

I took gre (v161 q170 -> gmat 750 using ets conversion tool)

extra curriculum involves many years of volunteering and teaching kids math and science; some investment club activity

I would like to pursue consulting post mba career serving high tech & biotech device companies which require controlled manufacturing, supply chain & operation process.

How do you see my profile against these schools?

Thanks in advance for any feedback :)

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:11 members

by mbaMissionJenK » Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:11 pm
Hi there,

Thanks for posting. So your GRE quant score is excellent, verbal is alright. Schools will consider each score in context and with percentiles as well. Your grades/academics are strong, and your involvement and community commitment is solid as well. At this point with limited info here about your background, work experience and leadership, I would still have to say these schools will be a reach for you though... they are just SO competitive, and extremely talented individuals are turned away all of the time. There are a lot of engineering and IT applicants these days and it can be tough to stand out from that crowd, so definitely spend some time brainstorming about what you will bring to the class that others might not. If you'd like deeper profile feedback at any time where you submit a resume to us, feel free to sign up for a free 30 minute consultation at www.mbamission.com/consult.

Good luck!
Jennifer Kedrowski
MBA Admissions Consultant
www.mbamission.com
[email protected]

Register for a Free Consult from mbaMission: https://www.mbamission.com/consult.php

Visit the mbaMission Blog: www.mbamission.com/blog

Follow mbaMission on Twitter: https://twitter.com/mbaMission

Like mbaMission on Facebook: www.facebook.com/mbaMission

Read the Free mbaMission School-Specific Insider's Guides: www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by tom09 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:02 pm
Thanks for your feedback!

Here is bit more info on my background:

In terms of professional & community leadership roles: I have led effort to work/partner with major firms including tech & consulting to lead a project which led to >$1M manufacturing cost savings.. and I started organization with some other professionals to mentor foreign students interested in engineering & business career... other community services include basic teaching & mentoring kids. Been teaching for quite a few years now since high school. also received best teaching assistant nominee during graduate school. The reason that I would like to pursue post-mba consulting is that previously I have been working with one phd + professor consultant who founded his own consulting firm on one of the projects I was working on. And I became particularly interested in consulting and eventually would like to start my own practice helping startups, tech and biotech devices firms to which my experience and skills can be helpful.

Hope this info can help you better assess my profile :)

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:11 members

by mbaMissionJenK » Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:54 am
Thank you for the additional info. Overall what you have shared in your last post likely further strengthens what I understand of your profile somewhat, and I would say those top tier schools will still be a challenge, but not completely out of reach. If you want the BEST chances of definitely getting in somewhere, you may wish to apply to a couple of schools that are somewhat less competitive.. but it's up to you; only apply to those that you would be happy going to. I am still a bit unclear on the first experience you described, for example was that something you were expected to do or something you initiated? " led effort to work/partner with major firms including tech & consulting to lead a project which led to >$1M manufacturing cost savings". But your teaching experience and community service are certainly strengths. With regard to your interest in setting up your own company, you may wish to identify a shorter-term post-MBA goal too as sometimes it can be challenging to start your own company right out of school, and admissions officers are aware of that as well. Overall the challenge of the applications is on you to show what is truly great and unique about you and what you will bring to the class, as well as to show why you want the degree and why that school is right for you. Good luck!
Jennifer Kedrowski
MBA Admissions Consultant
www.mbamission.com
[email protected]

Register for a Free Consult from mbaMission: https://www.mbamission.com/consult.php

Visit the mbaMission Blog: www.mbamission.com/blog

Follow mbaMission on Twitter: https://twitter.com/mbaMission

Like mbaMission on Facebook: www.facebook.com/mbaMission

Read the Free mbaMission School-Specific Insider's Guides: www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders