OG Question-The personal income tax did not become

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
The personal income tax did not become permanent in the United States until the First World War;before that time the federal government was dependent on tariffs to be their main source of revenue.

A)the federal government was dependent on tariffs to be their main source of revenue

B)the federal government had dependent on tariffs as its main source of revenue

C)tariffs were what the federal government was dependent on to be its main source of revenue

D)the main source of revenue for the federal government was dependent on tariffs

E)for the main source of revenue ,tariffs were dependent on by the federal government

OA is B - Please help me understand why is D wrong

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:266 members
GMAT Score:770

by Jim@StratusPrep » Sun Aug 02, 2015 12:04 pm
What is the source of this question? B is definitely not correct - HAD should be WAS.

D is wrong because 'main source of revenue' is the noun that is described as dependent - It should be the federal government that is the main noun of this clause.
GMAT Answers provides a world class adaptive learning platform.
-- Push button course navigation to simplify planning
-- Daily assignments to fit your exam timeline
-- Organized review that is tailored based on your abiility
-- 1,000s of unique GMAT questions
-- 100s of handwritten 'digital flip books' for OG questions
-- 100% Free Trial and less than $20 per month after.
-- Free GMAT Quantitative Review

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:51 am
The posted problem -- SC19 in the OG for Verbal 2016 -- has typos.
It should read as follows:
The personal income tax did not become permanent in the United States until the First World War;before that time the federal government was dependent on tariffs to be their main source of revenue.

A) the federal government was dependent on tariffs to be their main source of revenue

B) the federal government had depended on tariffs as its main source of revenue

C) tariffs were what the federal government was dependent on to be its main source of revenue

D) the main source of revenue for the federal government was dependent on tariffs

E) for their main source of revenue, tariffs were depended on by the federal government
In A, their (plural) does not agree with government (singular).
Eliminate A.

Generally, a preposition must be followed by a NOUN serving as the OBJECT OF THE PREPOSITION.
In C and E, on (preposition) is not followed by a noun.
Eliminate C and E.

D: the main source...was dependent on tariffs
Not the intended meaning.
The intended meaning is that the GOVERNMENT depended on tariffs.
Eliminate D.

The correct answer is B.
Last edited by GMATGuruNY on Sat Jan 16, 2016 3:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by ommtomm » Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:59 am
Hi

I had read a rule that if before then the order of events is clearly specified and simple past is correct. However in this sentence still past perfect is the right option.

eg.she locked the door before she left her home. (is correct)

she had locked the door before she had left her home. (had is not required here)

by babyokras » Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:06 pm
GMATGuruNY wrote:The posted problem -- SC19 in the OG for Verbal 2016 -- has typos.

A) the federal government was dependent on tariffs to be their main source of revenue

C) tariffs were what the federal government was dependent on to be its main source of revenue

D) the main source of revenue for the federal government was dependent on tariffs

E) for the main source of revenue, tariffs were depended on by the federal government
Eliminate A.

Generally, a preposition must be followed by a NOUN serving as the OBJECT OF THE PREPOSITION.
Eliminate C and E.

Eliminate D.

The correct answer is B.
one more error!: in E 'for the main source' should be 'for their main source'.

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Sat Jan 16, 2016 3:10 am
babyokras wrote: one more error!: in E 'for the main source' should be 'for their main source'.
Good catch.
In my response above, I've corrected the typo in E.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by aflaam » Sat Jan 16, 2016 7:51 pm
Hello Mitch,

Should'nt it be simple past tense in OA because of the time marker " before" ?

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Sun Jan 17, 2016 4:18 am
aflaam wrote:Hello Mitch,

Should'nt it be simple past tense in OA because of the time marker " before" ?
One purpose of the past perfect (had + VERBed) is to indicate that an event in the more recent past is LINKED to an action further in the past (the past perfect action).

Before John became a painter, he studied music.
Here, the usage of the simple past tense for both actions conveys the following sequence:
First John studied music.
Later he became a painter.

There is no indication that the event in the more recent past (became a painter) is linked to the action further in the past (studied music).

Before John became a painter, he HAD STUDIED music.
Here, the usage of had studied (past perfect) implies the following:
When John became a painter, he STOPPED studying music.
The purpose of the past perfect is to indicate that the event in the more recent past (became a painter) is LINKED to the action further in the past (had studied music).

OA to the SC above:
The personal income tax did not become permanent in the United States until the First World War; before that time the federal government had depended on tariffs as its main source of revenue.
Here, the usage of had depended (past perfect) implies that the event in the more recent past (the First World War) is LINKED to an action further in the past (had depended on tariffs).
Implication:
When the First World War occurred, the federal government STOPPED depending on tariffs.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

by piggyts » Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:38 am
GMATGuruNY wrote:The posted problem -- SC19 in the OG for Verbal 2016 -- has typos.

E) for their main source of revenue, tariffs were depended on by the federal government
Eliminate A.

Eliminate C and E.

Eliminate D.

The correct answer is B.
Dear GMATGuruNY

I don't understand why C didn't follow the rule "a preposition must be followed by a NOUN serving as the OBJECT OF THE PREPOSITION"

C. tariffs were what the federal government was dependent on to be its main source of revenue
can't it be revised as "the federal government was dependent on what(=tariffs)"? then the preposition has its object?
(but if so, the following sentence "to be its main source of revenue" seems a little awkward)

Please correct me. Thank you so much!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by vietnam47 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:35 am
canbtg wrote:The personal income tax did not become permanent in the United States until the First World War;before that time the federal government was dependent on tariffs to be their main source of revenue.

A)the federal government was dependent on tariffs to be their main source of revenue

B)the federal government had dependent on tariffs as its main source of revenue

C)tariffs were what the federal government was dependent on to be its main source of revenue

D)the main source of revenue for the federal government was dependent on tariffs

E)for the main source of revenue ,tariffs were dependent on by the federal government

OA is B - Please help me understand why is D wrong
in A, government is to be main source. this is absurd.
in C. the meaning is "government was dependent on the TAX to be its main source". this is the same as meaning in choice C. absurd.