Many rivers!

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

Many rivers!

by gmat_perfect » Sat Jul 24, 2010 11:04 pm
Unlike many United States cities, where a river is no longer the focal point of urban life, the river in San Antonio winds through the middle of the business district, and the River Walk, or Paseo del Rio, is the city's most popular attraction.

(A) Unlike many United States cities, where a river is no longer the focal point of urban life, the river in San Antonio
(B) Unlike the river in many cities in the United States, which is no longer the focal point of urban life, in San Antonio the river
(C) Today the river in many cities in the United States is no longer the focal point of urban life, unlike San Antonio, where it
(D) In few United States cities today, a river is the focal point of urban life, but the river in San Antonio
(E) No longer do many cities in the United States have a river as the focal point of urban life, but in San Antonio the river

[spoiler]OA: E[/spoiler]

Legendary Member
Followed by:3 members

by outreach » Sat Jul 24, 2010 11:47 pm
(A) Unlike many United States cities, where a river is no longer the focal point of urban life, the river in San Antonio
"Unlike many United States.....the river in San Antoni" incorrect
(B) Unlike the river in many cities in the United States, which is no longer the focal point of urban life, in San Antonio the river
which is refering to us. but the issue is of rivers
(C) Today the river in many cities in the United States is no longer the focal point of urban life, unlike San Antonio, where it
we need to compare rivers in other cities to the river in San Antonio. here it means one river

(D) In few United States cities today, a river is the focal point of urban life, but the river in San Antonio
mean that there are cities in the United States where a river is a focal point of urban life

(E) No longer do many cities in the United States have a river as the focal point of urban life, but in San Antonio the river
correct
-------------------------------------
--------------------------------------
General blog
https://amarnaik.wordpress.com
MBA blog
https://amarrnaik.blocked/

Legendary Member

by clock60 » Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:07 am
hi guys
i was between D and E and finally chose D
can somebody clarify why D is wrong in terms of grammer, or it is meaning only?

Legendary Member
Followed by:7 members

by kvcpk » Sun Jul 25, 2010 1:13 am
clock60 wrote:hi guys
Option D says
In few United States cities today, a river is the focal point of urban life, but the river in San Antonio
mean that there are cities in the United States where a river is a focal point of urban life

The comparison is being done between "In few United states cities" and "river in San Antonio"
The right comparison should be between river and river OR city and city.

Hope this helps!!

Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members
GMAT Score:710

by gmatmachoman » Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:29 am
Praveen..awesome!!

Legendary Member
Followed by:7 members

by kvcpk » Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:37 am
gmatmachoman wrote:Praveen..awesome!!
Thank you!! ;)

Legendary Member

by clock60 » Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:41 am
kvcpk wrote:
clock60 wrote:hi guys
Option D says
In few United States cities today, a river is the focal point of urban life, but the river in San Antonio

The comparison is being done between "In few United states cities" and "river in San Antonio"
The right comparison should be between river and river OR city and city.

Hope this helps!!
pretty clear friend
my silly mistake
thank you

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:54 am
gmat_perfect wrote:Unlike many United States cities, where a river is no longer the focal point of urban life, the river in San Antonio winds through the middle of the business district, and the River Walk, or Paseo del Rio, is the city's most popular attraction.

I received a PM requesting that I discuss this SC.

A: Unlike many United States cities, the river
Here, the RIVER is illogically compared to MANY UNITED STATES CITIES.
Eliminate A.

COMMA + which + SINGULAR VERB must serve to refer to the NEAREST PRECEDING SINGULAR NOUN.
Names of countries are considered SINGULAR.
B: the United States, which is no longer the focal point of urban life
Here, which is (which + SINGULAR VERB) seems to refer to the United States (the nearest preceding singular noun), implying that THE UNITED STATES is no longer the focal point of urban life.
Not the intended meaning.
The intended meaning is that THE RIVER is no longer the focal point.
Eliminate B.

Generally, COMMA + unlike serves to refer to the PRECEDING SUBJECT.
C: Today the river, unlike San Antonio
Here, THE RIVER is illogically compared to SAN ANTONIO.
Eliminate C.

COMMA + but must serve to connect CONTRASTING IDEAS.
D: a river is the focal point of urban life, but the river in San Antonio winds through the middle of the business district.
Here, the two clauses connected by but do not express contrasting ideas.
Both clauses describe the river as IMPORTANT.
Eliminate D.

The correct answer is E.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3