11 inches of snow

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

11 inches of snow

by j_shreyans » Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:20 pm
Although covered in about 11 inches of snow, aviation officials said that conditions on the runway at the time of the emergency landing was acceptable.

A) aviation officials said that conditions on the runway at the time of the emergency landing was acceptable

B) the runway conditions during the emergency landing were acceptable according to aviation officials

C)according to aviation officials, the runway was in acceptable condition during the time of the emergency landing

D) the runway was in acceptable condition during the emergency landing, according to aviation officials

E) aviation officials said that conditions on the runway at the time of the emergency landing were acceptable

OAD

I just need to know the reason to eliminate option B

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by gauravpokhriyal » Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:26 am
The dangling modifier in the question is pointing towards runway.So after comma, runway has to come

It is true for both B and D.But, B is not talking about runway rather it is talking about "runway conditions".
So we can eliminate B and we are left with answer D

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:38 am
j_shreyans wrote:I just need to know the reason to eliminate option B
B: Although covered in about 11 inches of snow, the runway conditions
Here, covered seems to refer to runway conditions, implying that the CONDITIONS were COVERED in snow -- a nonsensical meaning.
Eliminate B.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3