Mr. Iqbal

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

Mr. Iqbal

by j_shreyans » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:19 pm
At last month's meeting Mr. Iqbal, the chair of a business association for immigrants, described the most significant problems he had experienced in adapting to his new country's business regulations and outlined several actions that he had taken to deal with those problems.

A)had experienced in adapting to his new country's business regulations and outlined several actions that he had taken to deal

B)experienced, adapted to the business regulations of his new country, and outlined several actions that had been taken in his dealing

C)had experienced in adapting to the business regulations of his new country and in outlining several actions that he had taken in dealing

D) experienced while adapting to his new country's business regulations and outlining several actions taken in his dealing

E)experienced in adapting to his new country's business regulations and outlined several actions with which he had taken in dealing

I got this one right but still need a reason to eliminate options.

OAA

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:10 am
j_shreyans wrote:At last month's meeting Mr. Iqbal, the chair of a business association for immigrants, described the most significant problems he had experienced in adapting to his new country's business regulations and outlined several actions that he had taken to deal with those problems.

A)had experienced in adapting to his new country's business regulations and outlined several actions that he had taken to deal

B)experienced, adapted to the business regulations of his new country, and outlined several actions that had been taken in his dealing

C)had experienced in adapting to the business regulations of his new country and in outlining several actions that he had taken in dealing

D) experienced while adapting to his new country's business regulations and outlining several actions taken in his dealing

E)experienced in adapting to his new country's business regulations and outlined several actions with which he had taken in dealing
B: At last month's meeting, Mr. Iqbal...adapted to the business regulations of his new country.
Here, at last month's meeting seems to serve as an adverb modifying adapted, implying that AT LAST MONTH'S MEETING Mr. Iqbal ADAPTED to the business regulations.
Not the intended meaning.
Eliminate B.

C: the most significant problems he had experienced...in outlining several actions
Here, in outlining seems to serve as an adverb modifying had experienced, implying that -- in the process of OUTLINING --- Mr. Iqbal HAD EXPERIENCED problems.
Eliminate C.

D: the most significant problems he experienced while...outlining several actions
Here, while outlining seems to serve as an adverb modifying experienced, implying that -- while OUTLINING --- Mr. Iqbal EXPERIENCED problems.
Eliminate D.

E: several actions with which he had taken in dealing with those problems
Here, which seems to refer to several actions, implying that -- in the process of dealing with those problems -- Mr. Iqbal HAD TAKEN WITH SEVERAL ACTIONS.
This meaning is nonsensical.
Eliminate E.

The correct answer is A.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3